A Traverse of Vignemale; Central Pyrenees

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A Traverse of Vignemale; Central Pyrenees

Postby mjdalessa » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 9:22 pm

A few days ago I traversed Vignemale (3298m) from the Spanish valley of Bujaruelo to Baysellance Refuge in France and circled back in a day, staying both nights in Refugio Labaza. It was certainly lengthy with almost 2500m of vertical gain and more in descent. Two glaciers were crossed and a gully of French Grade III rock was ascended. The route was generally non problematic and surprisingly well defined once on the ridge tops surrounding the normal route. From Spain we ascended via the Corredor de Moscova, a weakness in the mountain 1500m directly above where we slept. This is definitely the way to do Vignemale. This area of the Pyrenees is well known and attracts crowds in summer but this route doesn't. It is poorly defined and marked by sparse cairns. I have written an article about my experience on my blog;

http://adventuresofatasmanianabroad.blogspot.com.es/

IMG_20140824_185436.jpg
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes