Glacier de l'Argentière

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Glacier de l'Argentière

Postby Hallu » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:40 pm

The Argentiere Glacier, next to Chamonix, is well known in the Alps. It's one of the most impressive, as you can reach a lookout to see the seracs (the big blocks at the end) above a steep slope and some wonderful waterfalls, then walk farther up to see most of its length from above and the surrounding pics (such as Aiguille de l'Argentière where 6 climbers died this month).

The start of the walk can be either a village near Chamonix, which means an elevation gain of around 1100 m, either taking the cable car to Lognan. Problem : cable cars are an immense tourist attractions and prices are freaking steep... 16 € for a return trip... Mind you, that's still cheaper than Thredbo chair lift in Kosciuszko, and with better views. But with so many cable cars in the Alps, it can mounts up pretty quickly.

Anyway, I started from the bottom, and had to climb for hours. Luckily, I had some views towards the Aiguille du Midi, and other great summits of the area. After a lonely, steep and slippery walk up a narrow exposed path, I arrived to the end of the cable car. It wasn't lonely anymore : at 10:30 am, the tourists were numerous and all going towards the glacier. Despite that, nothing can take away from you the great sensation of seeing that dropping glacier above the cliffs. Seeing it from above is even better, as you can spot all the crevasses. Plenty of people walking on that river of ice, but for that you need proper equipment. Behind me, other beautiful mountains that I could barely see, obscured by a rocky dome. The map said there was a lookout there, so I started climbing it.

Mind you, after a 1100 m climb already, the extra (and underestimated by me) 300 m were a bit much, especially on such steep moraine. It took me a bit of time to find the cairn marking the nice viewspot, but it was worth it. Everywhere you looked there were snow capped summits, and at this kinda secret spot, only old timers not afraid to go the extra km. I photographed the glacier and panoramic views from all angles, trying to get nice shots of the crevasses and seracs. On the way back, you can walks by the side of the glacier on a secondary track. It was certainly worth battling the summer vacation traffic on the way back home. Mind you, with the track to the cable car being so steep and most of it devoided of views, if you've got 25 € to spend, definitely take the cable car. You'll have more energy to explore all the vantage points.
Attachments
P1050884.jpg
Aiguille du Midi (3842 m)
P1050911 - P1050914_blended_fused.jpg
P1050932 - P1050934.jpg
P1050944 - P1050950.jpg
P1050955 - P1050957_blended_fused.jpg
Glacier de l'Argentière
Last edited by Hallu on Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Glacier de l'Argentière

Postby Hallu » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:45 pm

More pics.
Attachments
P1050975 - P1050976.jpg
P1060032 - P1060034.jpg
P1060046 - P1060050.jpg
P1060083.jpg
P1060107.jpg
Glacier des Bossons from Chamonix
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for posting those photos Hallu, it brought back wonderful memories of being there last year, what a place.
This photo was one of my favourites.
Attachments
Chamonix.jpg
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hallu » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 9:59 pm

So did you do the Mont Blanc ascent ? That looks like a damn narrow snow path.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby durks » Wed 24 Sep, 2014 8:48 pm

Hallu wrote:That looks like a damn narrow snow path.

That picture is of the exit from/entrance to the Aiguille du Midi. That's a common start/end point for many objectives.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jmac » Wed 24 Sep, 2014 10:19 pm

Beautiful pictures Hallu and Roysta, thank you. They bring back great memories for me too. Love Chamonix and surrounds too. That snowy ridge down from the Aguille du Midi is quite unnerving when it's icy and chopped up, but what a beautiful walk/climb and a great starting point for adventures! I did Mont Blanc du Tacul from there in 2010 and then went back via the Gouter Spur to Mont Blanc in 2012, with another Tassie bushwalker and my Londoner brother in law. Great fun, great mountains! Short vid of our Mt Blanc fun here if you're interested:

http://youtu.be/nji47KXzcBw

Cheers, J
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby doogs » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 2:51 pm

Great pics Hallu. Brought back great memories of a trip I did when I was 21... a friend and I spent 3 weeks in Chamonix and the surrounds and one trip we did was Aiguille de l'M. This involved a big hike up from Chamonix, an easy climb (with ropes) up the Aiguille and then a traverse across the glaciers and a decent via the Midi cable car. Thanks for helping me to reminisce :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby roysta » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 8:28 pm

Hallu wrote:So did you do the Mont Blanc ascent ? That looks like a damn narrow snow path.

Yes I did, and it's true, that snow path is narrow, but the biggest problem is up near the top where you have to step over a crevasse.
What a wonderful place around Chamoix and over near Zermatt.
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes