Tour du Mont Blanc

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tour du Mont Blanc

Postby naturelover » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 9:12 pm

I have just written up a trip report on the Tour du Mont Blanc that my husband and I walked in July 2006, with 20 photos. It might be of interest if you are thinking of walking this route - which we love so much we've now done it a full three times and in part many times more than that. Sometimes we finish ahead of schedule and start all over again, not actually because we lack imagination, but because it's just so beautiful that it seems like the very best way to spend the days we had left for mishap / emergencies / illness or whatever (and it seems daft to waste time going somewhere else when we we are is so magnificent). This trip was in July, and very crowded. We did it in early June where we had deep snow most of the way and only encountered eight other people (who were all travelling together with a guide) the whole length of the route. The third time was mid June with medium snow, lots of flowers lower down, and not too many people.
Mostly my blogsite is about climbing Tassie mountains, but I was too sick to go up anything this week, so used the gap to begin writing up some of our overseas ventures. This was the first.
The site is to be found by googling natureloverswalks.blogspot.com
Happy to answer questions
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tour du Mont Blanc

Postby icefest » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 10:06 pm

Nice post, I really like the photos.

You now have an extra blog follower. :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby naturelover » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks! So glad you liked it.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:01 am

Lovely work Louise - beautiful images and words. Having just spent a few weeks in the Alps, and seeing bits of where you walked, I know exactly why you wept as you left. And why you keep returning to the Mont Blanc area!

Glad to see you turned some sick days into a positive. Hope you're well now,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 4:40 pm

A great walk and beautiful pictures. I have only done the section of the TMB where it is part of the GR5 - I will do it completely one day. On my recent flight back from the Pyrenees (Toulouse to Frankfurt) I flew across the western face of Mont Blanc in that perfect late afternoon light. It made want to parachute out and start walking.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 6:15 pm

thats fantastic. Were you in tents or were you staying in huts?
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby naturelover » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 6:50 pm

We stayed in the lovely high huts or Rifugios - crowded, simple, but jolly good fun. Some of them seemed more like an animal shelter than a mountain hut. The only one we didn't like was the one I have in the picture and we would never be persuaded to stay there again. The French guys used an improvised shelter lower down, and perhaps we should have done that too. We were based at Oxford Uni at the time, and didn't have a tent with us in Europe. That said, we really enjoyed the difference from home where we just about always have a tent, even when huts are available. Nice to have two different styles. We also enjoyed the camaraderie of shared meals with other like-minded people from all over the world (and I adore being able to put my German and French to use). There's plenty of time at home to do the other, Aussie-style walking. But each to his own, of course.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:49 pm

Absolutely beautiful! And very well written. Don't suppose there's any plans for a book? :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 6:20 am

What a find! Thannk you for the link to your blog. Such a pleasure to find beautiful writing and photos in the same blog. I'm planning on my first Tour Mt Blanc next year, unfortunately I think it will have to be July as it is the only time I can be away from work. Do you think the crowds will be too intense?
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 6:45 am

Thank you so much for sharing this, it is just magnificent.

G_u
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby naturelover » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone. I'm sorry Watertank, I didn't see your question until just now. July is chaotic, but nothing is impossible. We were in the area yet again in July last year doing the GR5 and haute route (yet to be written up in my blog), and used one of the TMB huts. We had to wait until after dinner to get a bed, but were not turned away. If you can cope with a little chaos, then it seems to be alright. If you want to arrive and go straight to the bed that is yours, then you may be disappointed. I travel with my own sleeping bag and sheet and so am never truly alarmed if things look grim on the accommodation side, as I can improvise a shelter and use my own sleeping gear. I've seen people sleeping on verandas, in old war tunnel entrances and so on. A lot depends on how creative you're prepared to be. I have a suspicion that if you're still there after dinner in need of a bed, then they'll give you emergency floor space rather than turf you into the clouds.
One trick you might like is to join the Austrian Alpine Club, English division (google it). As a member of a proper Alpine Club, you gain certain rights and some refuges are obliged to find you something to sleep on, no matter what.
Hope that helps.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks naturelover for your reply and your useful insights, yes I can cope with a little chaos, in fact a little chaos is a good thing, it helps keep the mind on those things that really matter! I will keep an eye on your blog for further installments, I'm not set on the Mt Blanc tour - I've yet to explore the Alps but I figured the Mt Blanc tour was a good place to start. I will look up the Club. Many thanks
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes