Newdegate Pass

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Newdegate Pass

Postby PeterJ » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 7:09 pm

With a fine forecast we set off from Lake Dobson, took the Urquhart Track and then endured the Jeep 4WD road to the ski huts. From here it became pleasant walking again and we decided to head to Newdegate via Tarn Shelf, joined the new boardwalk from Lake Newdegate and spent an enjoyable lunch break amongst the white flowering Cushion Plants, Epacris and colourful Scoparia. Return was via K Col and the climb over the rocks to the Rodway Range. For a change we located the old Golden Stairs to see what that track now looked like. Parts were a bit overgrown but nonetheless it was not difficult to follow until the very bottom.

Quite a number of people did the Newdegate Pass circuit that day and most chose to go the opposite way to us; over the Rodways first. Sueofthesouth did mention that I was the oldest person out on the track and that gave me an uneasy feeling; it is always nice to know that someone else is the oldest and not you.

Click this link to view a photo album.

IMG_4679 Cushion Plant Newdegate Pass Dracophyllum minimum.JPG
Cushion plant Dracophyllum minimum Newdegate Pass

For more notes and map
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Newdegate Pass

Postby stepbystep » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 7:26 pm

Nice pictures Peter, the cushion plants and many others were flowering profusely on the Southern Ranges last week, although the Scoparia was a definite no-show!
Love pic 5 above Lake Newdegate, gorgeous!

BTW I'm sure the older walkers went the same way as you and left later - wisdom of age and all that :wink:
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Newdegate Pass

Postby bluewombat » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:48 pm

Gorgeous shots Peter, really lovely. I think the best direction to go on any walk is the way you are going at the time. As for being the oldest, well heck that just means you are fitter, healthier and having more fun than those who are not out there.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes