Mt Anne Trip Report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Anne Trip Report

Postby goof1671 » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:36 am

Hello Folks. Thought I might file a quick report on my Mt Anne visit last week. This is the first time I have done one of these reports so please forgive any errors and/or omissions.

Had a spare couple of days so decided to overnight Mt Anne from the Condominium Carpark end. The plan was to bag the peak, put up the tent somewhere between Anne and Eliza and get out the next day so I dusted off my 1:25 Anne Tasmap, strapped on the dunlop Volleys and away I went. Decided that since I was overnighting I could afford a leisurely day getting on track so after mucking around at home and then having a coffee at the Possum Cafe, I eventually got on the track at 1600hrs.

On the way up it was apparent that I would be walking into a cloud.
IMG_1242.JPG
Ascent into cloud

Made the hut at 1700 where I had a nice chat with a couple tenting in a Minaret (good tent) and another nice couple of chaps staying in the hut. After which I continued on my way, eventually getting into the cloud as I topped out on Eliza.
IMG_1257.JPG
On the top

At this time I decided to pull the map out. Not so much to not get lost as the track is pretty bomber, but more to keep an eye on my progress along the top as the cloud was 8/8ths. And only got worse the further I progressed.
IMG_1258.JPG
socked in

If you look closely at the bottom left corner of the preceding photo you can just make out the ground.

Passing the boulder fields on the approach to the base of Anne whilst not tricky never the less demanded the utmost respect so as not to take a fall. The rocks were damp but the volleys were up to the task. But this did slow my progress. Upon reaching the base of the final climb I took a moment to mull over a couple of factors, these being:
1. It was 1900hrs
2. The rocks were wet
3. I was in a cloud on my own
4. I was dehydrated and hungry (total intake thus far being 1 flat white coffee, 1 mars bar and 1 energy gel)
5. It had been a very long time since I had climbed Mt Anne
And as a result of this moment of contemplation I decided not to climb it. Definately the right thing to do as I decided that not only was I exposing myself to potentially a serious injury (tired, hungry, thirsty, rusty) but I was solo and it was getting dark and if I got hurt would be spending a long lonely night out in it.

I was so keen to get out of there I kept going once I turned around, getting back to the carpark at about 2130.

I took a couple of things from this one, first of which is not to be so cocky about going for a walk in the South West because if you're not careful the place will bite you on the *&%$#!. The second thing was that I really should slow down a little bit and enjoy things more rather than thrashing through it all trying to set land speed records.

Anyway I'll be heading back out to Mt Anne sooner rather than later and I will pay more respect to it second time around.
goof1671
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Anne Trip Report

Postby alliecat » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks for the trip report. Good on you for being aware enough (of yourself and the conditions) to make a sensible decision to turn around.

Regardless of that, it sound like you had a great walk even if it didn't pan out exactly as planned. I think being willing and able to change your plans is a key skill for walking in Tas.

I'm sure you'll get up there again soon, and if you persist, one day the weather gods will reward you with stunning views :)

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 3:58 pm

You know, it looked exactly like that on my first attempt, although I came to my senses a little bit earlier.
Looked very similar the last time too, except for the wind. Oooooh, that wind.

I think there are more 'missed it by that much' stories about Anne than any other Tasmanian summit.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tastrax » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 9:07 pm

Couldn't agree more - that's what it looked like on my first... second... and third attempt!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 9:09 am

I must have been lucky. Had great weather on my first time up Mt Anne summit. Later that night at shelf camp was a different story. Blew so hard it tore my tent, and the tent literally took off in the wind as soon as I stepped out of it in the morning (thankfully, I still had one foot in the door to step back down and stop it).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 9:19 am

3 times on the summit for the same view 3 times for me. :(

Shelf camp has a bit of a reputation for being a tent mauler Nick!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 9:37 am

north-north-west wrote:
I think there are more 'missed it by that much' stories about Anne than any other Tasmanian summit.

Think there may be at least as many about Feder!

I've been lucky with Anne, think I've made 5 attempts and only got turned back once at the hut when there was rather a lot of snow. And Shelf Camp is one of my least favourite camp sites in Tassie. Howling winds, nowhere to pitch a tent and no privacy!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taswegian » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:02 am

Blew so hard it tore my tent,
I wonder how Paddy Pallins 'Souwester' tent survived down there - did it live up to its name?
Just curious how they compared to modern days.

But wind is wind as we all discover at times when we don't want to!!
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tasadam » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:36 am

Hah! Mt Anne first attempts. We all have stories don't we...
Good memories!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby PeterJ » Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:41 am

The log books tell of so many people turning back due to weather. I have learnt that it is a waste of time going unless conditions are favourable.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 6:47 pm

Some of us are just eternal optimists: "it's going to get better, I can tell. Honestly."
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 05 Jan, 2011 7:00 pm

north-north-west wrote:Some of us are just eternal optimists: "it's going to get better, I can tell. Honestly."

Hmm... sounds like me and my relationship :lol: But, going back to walking, it does indeed sometimes get better - a few of us set off for Mt Pillinger in the rain one day with no expectation of better weather, and had lunch on top in the sunshine. One can only hope!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes