Tyenna Peak

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tyenna Peak

Postby bluewombat » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 10:40 am

Tyenna peak is one I have been thinking about wandering up for probably 20 years, and I managed to get there in the last few days. You can access it via Florentine and KCol but I decided to do it via Wombat Moor and Lake Belton, as my knees complained last time I did the boulder hopping from KCol. Tyenna could certainly be done as day walk, although setting off at noon like I did is probably not the way to achieve that. I wanted to spend a night up on the saddle between Florentine and Tyenna as I had spotted some lovely tarns in the area previously. I also thought it would be an opportunity to test out a few newish bits of gear, notably an MSR reactor stove system, a Tarptent Contrail and a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag. More on those a bit later.

From Wombat Moor it is about 2.5 hrs down to the mighty Humbolt river, the track really needs some work in the section up to the Mt Mawson saddle, it has sustained a fair amount of damage over the last few years, I suspect too many tourists trying to avoid wet feet. From the river crossing you walk up the main trail/bog towards lake Belcher until you come across a star picket which has a sign saying lake Belcher. The track to Lake Belton turns off to the west here. On the 1:25000 Dobson map it says 'approximate walking route' when describing this track and that is pretty accurate, it is not easy to follow. That is of no great concern as it is pretty hard to miss Lake Belton. You come in at some lovely tarns around the southern end of the lake, Tyenna looms to the SW, and the whole ampitheatre of Florentine, KCol and the Rodway range makes for an impressive setting.
Tarn at Lake Belton.JPG
Tarn at the southern end of Lake Belton

From the tarns you basically set your own course for Tyenna, it is off track so no more descriptions from me other than that I went up one way and came down another, both very straight forwards and quite pleasant for the most part. It took me about 90 minutes to get to the summit of Tyenna from Belton, and I was fortunate to have a lovely clear day, superb views in 360 degrees. The summit itself is not too grand but the setting is inspiring.
Tyenna Peak.JPG
Tyenna Peak, looking to the SE

From here I wandered towards Florentine until I found a small patch of flat dry ground near a little tarn and set up camp.
Tyenna campsite.JPG

There a lots of interesting rock formations around the area, these two figures are like a Henry Moore sculpture
Standing stones.JPG

The night was cool, probably 3-4 C and a bit breezy, which brings me to a couple of gear comments. The MSR Reactor set (it has an integrated 1.5 ltr pot) is not the lightest stove around but boy is it quick, with no breeze boiling half a litre of water from the Humbolt, less than 1 minute, the same half litre with a fair cross wind 1 minute 10 seconds. A gas canister will last a long time with this puppy. The tarptent Contrail is very quick and easy to set up, I used the minimum 4 pegs and there was a fair degree of flapping with the breeze (I had set the tent across the wind to see how it worked in less than ideal position). I suspect adding the 4 optional guys and pegs (another 50gms) would stop this. It is single skin and despite the mesh sides low down it does accumulate a little condensation resulting in the odd splash in the face when the side flapped. It is also not a warm tent because of the side meshing. The combination of this tent and the Summerlite was just a little cool, I ended up putting on some extra clothes overnight, so I must be a wuss. The other thing about the light grey of the tarptent, in a full moon it glows, I kept waking up and thinking I had left the light on.
The Rodways.JPG
Moon over the Rodway range

From my campsite it took a few minutes over 3 hours to get back to the track head on the Lake Dobson road. Coming off the plateau I found a nice set of cascades and some lovely tarns on the western side of Belton. Doing Tyenna as a single peak I would score it 3 out of 5, definitely worthwhile. If you did a circuit of Tyenna, Florentine, KCol and the Rodway range returning via Lake Dobson I would put the trip up to a 4, this is nice country.
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tyenna Peak

Postby stepbystep » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 3:28 pm

bluewombat wrote:If you did a circuit of Tyenna, Florentine, KCol and the Rodway range returning via Lake Dobson I would put the trip up to a 4, this is nice country.

I'd agree with that rating, the circuit as a daywalk is extremely rewarding especially if the weather is on your side.
My account here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3946&p=45000&hilit=belton#p45000

Nice report bw, I love the series of tarns before Belton and then you arrive at the lake which is larger than it seems from up above, and wow, a beautiful place and rarely visited.

sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 6:53 pm

bluewombat wrote:If you did a circuit of Tyenna, Florentine, KCol and the Rodway range returning via Lake Dobson I would put the trip up to a 4, this is nice country.

Yes, that's on my list for February/March, including Field West and maybe Lord as well. Not a daywalk, though.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stepbystep » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 8:58 pm

north-north-west wrote:

Yes, that's on my list for February/March, including Field West and maybe Lord as well. Not a daywalk, though.

Hi nnw, if you spend a couple of nights in the area, a night up top would be special, but the camping next to Belton would also be fantastic.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:10 pm

Depends what time I get there. But I have a 'thing' about camping up top wherever possible. The saddle between Tyenna and Florentine looks like wonderful place to wake up.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:19 pm

north-north-west wrote:Depends what time I get there. But I have a 'thing' about camping up top wherever possible. The saddle between Tyenna and Florentine looks like wonderful place to wake up.

Agreed, it would be my choice(if I had one) too, but have just had a thing about that spot next to Belton, never camped there but I guess I was there when it was just, perfect...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bluewombat » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 6:45 am

NNW, I agree up top on the saddle is a great place to be, the best tarns are probably closer to Florentine than Tyenna, I remember having a very pleasant nap in the sun on a grassy bank next to a tarn there a few years back. I also agree with SBS, on the right day Belton would be a superb location to chill out. I did not see the perfect spot for a campsite at Belton, but there are plenty of flatish areas of coral fern at the southern end, and also some potential on the western side
You would be best to have a couple of nights out if you are including Field West and Lord on your list. I tried traversing the peaks between West and Lord via the Watcher in a day a few years back but only managed to get to Mt Lord South before I realised I was going to run out of light.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:13 am

The old track to Mt Lord is overgrowing and a long day.
Now the forestry roads go so close, it is much much easier from the roads below. Lord and Lanes peak can be both climbed in around 4-5 hrs return off Westfield road.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:18 am

north-north-west wrote:Depends what time I get there. But I have a 'thing' about camping up top wherever possible. The saddle between Tyenna and Florentine looks like wonderful place to wake up.

Having camped "up top" of the Pleiades for 5 nights last March in constant howling gales, as well as at Shelf Camp in January, my enthusiasm is somewhat diminished! Admittedly the views are awesome (when you're not in fog/rain), but it's cold! Belton would be a beautiful, peaceful place to camp.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby pazzar » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:26 am

I have camped in the saddle between Tyenna and Florentine. It was a great spot, albeit very exposed. I was lucky enough to have a calm night. You could find more shelter close to Florentine Peak though.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ciaran » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 7:07 pm

Enlightening trip report. Interesting view on the Contrail, and nice weather to boot.

Thanks for sharing.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 6:54 pm

bluewombat wrote:You would be best to have a couple of nights out if you are including Field West and Lord on your list. I tried traversing the peaks between West and Lord via the Watcher in a day a few years back but only managed to get to Mt Lord South before I realised I was going to run out of light.

Yeah, that's the plan, and that's the route I thinking about. It does look like it's not too scrubby and in good weather should be fairly straightforward. *fingers crossed*
Of course, the weather is likely to trip me up there (and on all the other planned walks), but I can only hope and try.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 6:59 am

An interesting variation for doing Tyenna Peak is Lake Dobson - K Col - Florentine Peak - Tyenna Peak - Lake Belton - and either Wombat Moor followed by a couple of kms on the road back to Lake Dobson or for the really adventuresome going over Mt Mawson and down the old Golden Stairs track.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:13 pm

Is it still possible to find the old Golden Stairs track? My first few walks up to Mawson/Tarn Shelf/Field West were via that lovely little knee-wrecker, but there doesn't seem to be any access to it from Dobson any more.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Swifty » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 3:17 am

Is it still possible to find the old Golden Stairs track? My first few walks up to Mawson/Tarn Shelf/Field West were via that lovely little knee-wrecker, but there doesn't seem to be any access to it from Dobson any more.

From memory, the Golden Stairs track was closed several years ago after a skier was killed in an avalanche on his way up the track.
I walked up there once (many years ago now!) and it seemed more pleasant than walking up the road to the Mawson ski field. Knee wrecker? Couldn't have said it better myself :wink:
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby MJD » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 5:45 am

I had little trouble finding the Golden Stairs - you just need to look for it. Certainly more interesting than the road. Looks like a few people still use it.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ollster » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 9:58 am

Very handy thread, I'm thinking of heading up Tyenna and Florentine via lake Belton on Sunday. :D I was wondering how the terrain from the lake would be, but 90 mins with an overnight pack sounds pretty good.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stepbystep » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:05 am

ollster wrote:Very handy thread, I'm thinking of heading up Tyenna and Florentine via lake Belton on Sunday. :D I was wondering how the terrain from the lake would be, but 90 mins with an overnight pack sounds pretty good.

Very easy going from the lake Oll, I pretty much straight lined it taking obvious leads - worst scrub was no more than waist high - there is a small plateau just before you hit the rock about 20mins above the lake, there were some tags which show the best path to take to the scree, the tags disappear once on the rock, but it's straight forward from there on - up top it's easy going especially once you are off Tyenna - the approach to Florentine is very nice walking.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:45 am

stepbystep wrote:Very easy going from the lake Oll, I pretty much straight lined it taking obvious leads - worst scrub was no more than waist high - there is a small plateau just before you hit the rock about 20mins above the lake, there were some tags which show the best path to take to the scree, the tags disappear once on the rock, but it's straight forward from there on - up top it's easy going especially once you are off Tyenna - the approach to Florentine is very nice walking.

Sweet. Hopefully the weather gets through this cycle of yuk we're in right now and it's a fine and sunny day on Sunday. :D I'm kinda half hoping to do a quick run out to Field East too, so if this part is fairly quick (like ~7 hrs) I should have enough time...
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:02 pm

Not sure if you will get it done that quick, Azz and I did Tyenna and Florentine from Dobson over Rodway, Not as much of a climb as coming from the lakes below, but probably longer. Anyway it took us around 7-8 hrs.

I also did Mt Cullen before this and was quite knackered by the end of the day!! It was pouring over Cullen (but dry at Field) and when i met Azz I had my socks and wet weather gear draped over seats and on the dashboard trying to dry them while driving.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:29 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Not sure if you will get it done that quick, Azz and I did Tyenna and Florentine from Dobson over Rodway, Not as much of a climb as coming from the lakes below, but probably longer. Anyway it took us around 7-8 hrs.

I also did Mt Cullen before this and was quite knackered by the end of the day!! It was pouring over Cullen (but dry at Field) and when i met Azz I had my socks and wet weather gear draped over seats and on the dashboard trying to dry them while driving.

Looks like about 5-6 kms less to cover from the side I'm going from, but the climb will be slower. Ah, I'll give it a shot, F.E. is only really a bonus if I can be bothered, but I've got the day to myself, so I figure make an early start and see where I can get.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 12:32 pm

Yeh why not!! Big day out is always good fun!! The Field East circuit took me about 3hrs from memory, I suspect it could be done faster if you went in and out from the top Lake. Although the best part of the track is on the lower section down to lake Nichols IMO.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Tue 16 Nov, 2010 3:49 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yeh why not!! Big day out is always good fun!! The Field East circuit took me about 3hrs from memory, I suspect it could be done faster if you went in and out from the top Lake. Although the best part of the track is on the lower section down to lake Nichols IMO.

Agreed, if you left FE for another day you could head out to Mt Crooke or Davis Lookout to make it a longer circuit(and a good one).
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 2:48 pm

stepbystep wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yeh why not!! Big day out is always good fun!! The Field East circuit took me about 3hrs from memory, I suspect it could be done faster if you went in and out from the top Lake. Although the best part of the track is on the lower section down to lake Nichols IMO.

Agreed, if you left FE for another day you could head out to Mt Crooke or Davis Lookout to make it a longer circuit(and a good one).

It's a PB mission, I'm getting in range of a milestone... if I wanted to go for a casual daywalk I'd just do the lake and FE loop. ;-)
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm going to treasure the next few days. They're probably the last ones in which I'll have PB points for something Ollie hasn't done.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 7:22 pm

north-north-west wrote:I'm going to treasure the next few days. They're probably the last ones in which I'll have PB points for something Ollie hasn't done.

What...!? You gotta be kidding me?
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 7:28 pm

Florentine, Tyenna and Field East, unless I've misinterpreted him.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 8:11 pm

Ollster has a special 'code brown' list....
Azza

Postby ollster » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 7:16 am

Azza wrote:Ollster has a special 'code brown' list....

I don't exactly reveal the extent of my pts like some people do, so I think NNW may be making some assumptions that I'm somewhere around ILSWT's level. Suffice to say there is a bit of a gap.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:31 pm

ollster wrote:Suffice to say there is a bit of a gap.

I know what you mean.. unfortunately the Ollster and I can't go walking 5 days a week.
Otherwise we'd be smashing the pts...

But we have a respectable amount. :-)
Azza

Next

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes