Hartz Mountain

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Hartz Mountain

Postby Roger » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 7:07 pm

I have walked up Hartz Mountain many times and in different conditions. Last week, after a heavy snowfall I thought I would gIve Hartz a visit. Got as far as the the first registration booth and I was literally bulldozing though snow in my Subara Forrester. I left the car, put on my snow gear and waded through waist deep snow along the track. I got as far as the falls side track before the snow got even deeper. I'm not overly tall but when the snow comes up to your chest it's prolbably time to turn back.

I looked across to where the track to to lakes and summit should be and, even though the snow looked even, I knew there was dip in the valley and snow must be even deeper.

Made it back to the car and it started to snow again. Couldn't turn the car around so reversed back down the mountain along the tracks I had come up by.

Best trip up Hartz ever.
Roger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hartz Mountain

Postby north-north-west » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 5:32 pm

Roger wrote:Couldn't turn the car around so reversed back down the mountain along the tracks I had come up by.

That must have been fun. How long did it take to get back to the Arve Road?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: Hartz Mountain

Postby Roger » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 8:09 pm

Long slow reverse for about 60 mins before I could turn around with any degree of safety.
Roger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes