Mensa Moor (and Magnet Crag)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mensa Moor (and Magnet Crag)

Postby naturelover » Sun 17 May, 2015 3:21 pm

HI there. A friend and I have just done the glorious walk to Mensa Moor and Magnet Crag. We loved the way we did it - which was to treat it as an overnighter. Even so, I got a bit worried about not making it back to the tents on time, but the anxiety was short-lived. Although doing it at this time of year did mean we had to contend with a lot of ice (and a short day), it also meant snakes, dehydration and overheating were not an issue. Thanks to doogs and NNW for confirming that my plan of taking tents was a good one. As we slowly and cautiously made our way down the icy rocks, it was terrific not to have the pressure of time cajoling us into unwise speed. Camping out on Coalmine Crag was bliss. A full report with photos, gps route and a discussion of our route is to be found in my blog http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au/
Attachments
Mensa Moor 05 At last we have emerged onto Mensa Moor itself.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mensa Moor (and Magnet Crag)

Postby north-north-west » Mon 18 May, 2015 9:25 am

Nice conditions for it.
It's funny, that; you seem to have done the same thing I did - pick up a good line on the way up Mensa and have all sorts of trouble sticking to it on the way back down.
I like the Magnet route. Maybe I should have gone that way rather than around Coalmine. The Menamatta/Coalmine area is such lovely camping:
Attachments
c12652c.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: Mensa Moor (and Magnet Crag)

Postby naturelover » Mon 18 May, 2015 10:14 am

That is an absolutely glorious photo NNW. We had almost no colour at all - evening or morning - but we absolutely adored the sense of space and, well, just the wonderful feel of the place. I did love the views from the lump on Coalmine at sunrise that are in my blog. I didn't touch the summit of Coalmine as I wanted to give myself a good excuse to go back. (I also haven't touched the summit of Legges Tor either for cute reasons all my own.)
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes