Western/Eastern Arthur Range Solo Traverse 22 Days

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Western/Eastern Arthur Range Solo Traverse 22 Days

Postby hobbitle » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 6:46 am

I think the poor guy gets that he made a mistake, guys. You can probably lay off a bit now that the point has been well and truly made and bring the focus back to the positives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby gayet » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 7:24 am

hobbitle wrote:I think the poor guy gets that he made a mistake, guys. You can probably lay off a bit now that the point has been well and truly made and bring the focus back to the positives.

+1
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DanShell » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 7:53 am

hobbitle wrote:I think the poor guy gets that he made a mistake, guys. You can probably lay off a bit now that the point has been well and truly made and bring the focus back to the positives.

Yep, I doubt he will be back to share his wonderful photos!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby hobbitle » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 8:17 am

DanShell wrote:Yep, I doubt he will be back to share his wonderful photos!

Which is tragic as they are beautiful. And he undertook and achieved a difficult goal.

hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 9:09 am

DanShell wrote:

Excuse me?
He stuffed up. He needs to be made aware of that. If he's so thin-skinned that being reminded that he pulled a no-no makes him skulk off and hide in the shadows sucking his thumb . . . OK, that's a bit over the top, isn't it? But still, surely we're allowed to point out the danger, stupidity and sheer inappropriateness of his behaviour?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DanShell » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 9:11 am

north-north-west wrote:
DanShell wrote:

Excuse me?
He stuffed up. He needs to be made aware of that. If he's so thin-skinned that being reminded that he pulled a no-no makes him skulk off and hide in the shadows sucking his thumb . . . OK, that's a bit over the top, isn't it? But still, surely we're allowed to point out the danger, stupidity and sheer inappropriateness of his behaviour?

Yeh no problems with that, he got a bit hammered by several of us though in the end ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 5:36 pm

About four weeks ago we were camping at Lake Cygnus in the WAs and at about 5pm two young French guys walked into camp and i pointed out the camp platforms for them and then they asked me where the campfire pits were!!!! I explained about "fuel stove only".

Is this a cultural gap, a language gap, a lack of Australian bushwalking experience, ignorance or disregard??. Is it just overseas visitors or Aussies too?? I should have engaged in a deeper conversation with them but was too surprised and a bit p'd off at the time. I guess we should always be ready to educate and enforce.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 5:58 pm

awildland wrote:About four weeks ago we were camping at Lake Cygnus in the WAs and at about 5pm two young French guys walked into camp and i pointed out the camp platforms for them and then they asked me where the campfire pits were!!!! I explained about "fuel stove only".

Is this a cultural gap, a language gap, a lack of Australian bushwalking experience, ignorance or disregard??. Is it just overseas visitors or Aussies too?? I should have engaged in a deeper conversation with them but was too surprised and a bit p'd off at the time. I guess we should always be ready to educate and enforce.

A bit of all, but it is not confined to overseas visitors. In fact, the overseas people are more likely to educate themselves about restrictions and rules, while too many Aussies have that 'camping means campfires' mentality which, unfortunately, is continually passed down through guidebooks and experience.

All we can do is keep telling people the whys and wherefores of the situation and, hopefully, in another twenty or so generations the message will have gotten through.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby awildland » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 6:17 pm

Twenty generations, phew, you optimist!
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wirednomads » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 1:51 am

Alright, so I think it's finally time that I give more information on my reasoning for having a fire. I agree with all in retrospect that the fire is and was wrong. I apologize for not responding sooner, I suppose I needed time to think more about why I really did it. So here is what happened. I woke early that morning at Lake Rosanne to lenticular clouds within the sky. Beautiful, but I didn't realize the storm that would soon be behind them. Once it started raining, it didn't stop for over 30 hours. Due to a package from the United States not arriving in time I had one pair of clothing. I had no dry change if I were to get wet. My strategy with this would be to strip down and sleep bare in my bag each night if I happened to get wet. Even if I'm wet I can usually generate enough body heat during the day just from moving and dry most of my clothing just by wearing them. This was also all counting on the hilleberg tent will keep me dry. Which it failed on this trip to keep water out. For some reason even with a footprint I was getting leaks around the seam seals of the tent.
Shortly after leaving Lake Rosanne the rain started. I stopped at an overhang for lunch and to see if the rain would pass. Within thirty minutes of stopping I was in a full storm. I realized I needed more water and decided to leave my stuff, walk back to Lake Rosanne for water and come back hoping to still have a few hours to make it to Pass Creek. Walking from the overhang to Rosanne and back I was fully wet through all my layers. It was extremely windy/cold and I didn't have the gear to be out in that weather, especially not wet. I first set up the Hilleberg the best I could on top of the button grass. I would have to sleep on quite the incline if I were to stay here. I blew up my mat and set up my sleeping bag inside and secured all my gear to keep it dry. While inside I already saw the water that was getting in through the seams. I knew that everything inside including my sleeping bag would not keep dry through the night.
Upon realizing this, I decided to build a fire. In no way would I want to risk harming such a beautiful and fragile environment. I stacked rocks for a couple of hours before I even lit the fire. It was raining hard enough that I was able to drink from a puddle where I had moved a small rock for the next 24 hours. To even keep a fire burning in this type of rain I had to build a small enclosure that kept the rain from putting it out from above. There was absolutely no way I would catch anything on fire with the amount of rain that was coming down. The fact that I could even have a fire and keep it burning was quite remarkable to me at the time, and now looking back.
So originally, my reasoning for having a fire was I became completely soaked, my one change of clothing. Upon setting up my tent, I realized it was no longer keeping water out of the floor. This means over the night I have a high risk of my sleeping bag becoming wet. It was becoming cold outside, extremely windy. I built the fire at the time out of the necessity to dry my clothing to become warm before it became dark outside.
Looking back now I question myself whether I built the fire out of worry of becoming hypothermic or that I couldn't face sitting in my tent for another full day. The mental aspect of that. I had no book, the ink had ran out of my pen on day one. I had already spent a few days like this, and I had no idea of knowing how long this rain could last. My phone no longer accepted a charge from the solar panel since day 9. I also didn't feel I had the gear to continue walking in the rain. So now looking back I completely agree with you all that the fire was wrong. I should have toughed it out in my tent wet or not. I don't think I would have become that cold overnight with all of my clothing and the down sleeping bag even if wet.
I appreciate the comments and the criticism. The reason for sharing the photograph was out of wanting to give an accurate trip report of what I experienced while I was there. I should have thought more about it. In no way do I want to encourage having fires within the Southwest National Park. And yes I should have had two changes of clothing, a better backpack to keep my things from becoming shredded, and many other things that I would have needed money or time to acquire. I planned this in South Australia when I had less than $5 to my name and barely enough time on my visa, yet I already traveled with most of the gear to attempt something like this. I worked at a cherry farm for two months after deciding to attempt this and used that money to fill the gaps I was missing in my gear. I didn't really have the experience to be doing this as my first walk in Tasmania, especially alone with an extreme amount of weight. I did it on the most minimal budget possible and in the end I would say that it was a complete success. Even with the fire. It was a learning experience in all ways and I realize now perhaps I had the fire out of not being able to deal with the mental aspect of sitting within my tent another day, alone. I apologize for doing it, and for sharing it without thinking of the consequences, such as encouraging others to do the same.

On another note the reason for using Petrol is this is the main fuel source I can find anywhere in the world. Also, liquid fuel is better as I can cook at high altitudes where canister fuel would fail. It was a small experiment to see how long I could cook with 1L of petrol. One day I would like to attempt the upper route of The Great Himalayan Trail through Nepal. There I also plan to carry all of this gear, possibly more. But anyway, thank you for those who left such positive notes on the photography. It is the most time I've spent publishing an album. Overall I think I'm happy with the photography, and as far as the experience goes.... It is the most amazing thing that I have ever done.

Jordan
Wirednomads
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 8:17 am

Well said, lad.

btw, Good report, some very nice photos, great summation and I'm damned glad you got so much out of it. Wherever you go from here, I hope it all goes well for you.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkabout » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 9:32 am

Safe travels, Jordan. Sounds like you are going to amass a lifetime of wonderfull experiences and memories.
walkabout
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hobbitle » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 10:25 am

Godspeed, Jordan!

hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 10:35 am

Good on you for taking it on! Epic adventure.
All that food looks amazing, as do your photos.
Mountain Rocket

Postby icefest » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 11:55 am

I'm bit confused about where you mentioned that you walked back to lake Rosanne for water whilst it was raining. Is that right?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 3:28 pm

Should not have left Rosanne in the first place. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jeffoir1 » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:09 am

Beautiful, beautiful pics Jordan. Thank you for making them available to us. Safe travels and I look forward to seeing more of your amazing photos.
Very best wishes, Jeffoir
Walking takes longer... Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~ Edward Abbey
Jeffoir1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 07 May, 2015 3:08 pm

That's a pretty amazing tale and some remarkable photographs to go with it. Thank you for sharing it all with us.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Sat 09 May, 2015 11:05 am

Isn't this the guy who I said would never make it? :oops:

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:24 pm

Thought that was the twit who wanted to tackle the West Coast without any off track experience?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dolerite Walker » Fri 15 May, 2015 8:04 pm

The photos are "beautiful" because the area is beautiful. And fragile. Which is why fires are prohibited.

There is much to be said about this contemptuous and contemptible individual but I can smell the smouldering remains of a vulnerable and irreplaceable landscape.
Dolerite Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Fri 15 May, 2015 8:49 pm

Dolerite Walker wrote:The photos are "beautiful" because the area is beautiful. And fragile. Which is why fires are prohibited.

There is much to be said about this contemptuous and contemptible individual but I can smell the smouldering remains of a vulnerable and irreplaceable landscape.

You forgot to include ignominious and contumelious and whilst I agree with your sentiment I think the OP has been sufficiently castigated on this forum for his transgression.
As a wise man was reputed to have once said "let him without sin cast the first stone " and with the shoe on the other foot who knows ??

Well done to have been able to get a fire going in those conditions (no danger of conflagration in that weather ) albeit doubtful that it would have been really effectual in drying your gear however.
Just saying.
Last edited by corvus on Fri 15 May, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Scottyk » Fri 15 May, 2015 9:33 pm

Dolerite Walker wrote:The photos are "beautiful" because the area is beautiful. And fragile. Which is why fires are prohibited.

The guy has explained himself really well and doesn't deserve that
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby hobbitle » Fri 15 May, 2015 10:02 pm

Scottyk wrote:The guy has explained himself really well and doesn't deserve that

+1.
That was completely uncalled for at this stage in the thread...

hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tigercat » Sat 16 May, 2015 9:19 am

+1
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sat 16 May, 2015 12:26 pm

+1.

This is the one thing that really annoys me about bushwalk.com

The guy has unreservedly apologised for and admitted to his mistakes, and yet someone still feels the need to stick the boot in.

Can anyone in this forum say they have never made a mistake?

Bushwalk.com members need to realise that fostering a positive attitude towards new members and thereby encouraging the information to get out there, this is less likely to happen.

Dragging (obviously remorseful) individuals towards the virtual gallows will PUSH PEOPLE AWAY and DISCOURAGE them from seeking out information which may prevent a recurrence.

Not happy >:(
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Scottyk » Sat 16 May, 2015 6:11 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:+1.

This is the one thing that really annoys me about bushwalk.com

The guy has unreservedly apologised for and admitted to his mistakes, and yet someone still feels the need to stick the boot in.

Can anyone in this forum say they have never made a mistake?

Bushwalk.com members need to realise that fostering a positive attitude towards new members and thereby encouraging the information to get out there, this is less likely to happen.

Dragging (obviously remorseful) individuals towards the virtual gallows will PUSH PEOPLE AWAY and DISCOURAGE them from seeking out information which may prevent a recurrence.

Not happy >:(

Yep
If I had been in that situation then I probably would have had a fire too.
The mistakes he made were in the equipment he had, managing his wet clothes and a leaky tent not in the fact he chose to have a fire. Lets not forget that lighting a fire is a survival strategy that is valid in any terrain.
When you are cold and wet and on your own with a leaky tent things are a bit different from sitting at home posting on a anonymous forum. It just goes to show how well prepared you have to be to take on walks like this.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby north-north-west » Sat 16 May, 2015 6:18 pm

+1
He's served his time. Learnt his lesson. Let it go.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Sun 17 May, 2015 12:48 am

+1
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 18 May, 2015 10:25 am

Cough.. "+1. He's served his time. Learnt his lesson. Let it go"
Quote:

north-north-west wrote: He stuffed up. He needs to be made aware of that. If he's so thin-skinned that being reminded that he pulled a no-no makes him skulk off and hide in the shadows sucking his thumb . . . OK, that's a bit over the top, isn't it?

Anyway, I agree (and it's over and done) but maybe you should share that sort of thing with your coven mates, delicate petals :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes