Lakes Explorer, Nameless, Middle and many others...

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Lakes Explorer, Nameless, Middle and many others...

Postby DanShell » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 9:39 am

As the title suggests I went for a little walk from Lake Mackenzie to Ironstone Hut via Lake explorer then made my way around and through several other lakes to walk back out via Middle Lake and the Blue Peaks Track.

This walk represented a couple of significant things for me, firstly it was my proper first overnight solo walk and secondly it was my first solo off track walk. As it turned out I chose nice easy terrain to navigate and at no stage was I concerned about achieving my objectives ;)

My day started around 10:30am when I picked up a couple of hitch hikers from the turn off at Deloraine who were standing on the side of the road with well loaded packs. I never pick up hitch hikers but it was obvious they were like minded people. One was a landscaper from Sydney who has far more walking experience in Tassie than me and the other was his friend from Sweden. I dropped them off at the turn off towards Devils Gullet/Lake Mackenzie as they were heading up to the Walls and walking out via Lake St Clair :shock:

My hardest navigational challenge started as soon as I got to the Dam wall as I didn't know where the track started! So I followed the map and within a few minutes I soon found the pad.

One thing about this trip was that I ended up doing my share of rock hopping. Mainly due to my choice of direction but there are certainly some rock fields in the area.

I wasnt long into the walk when I realised I was no longer on the pad and as it turned out I managed to head fisher river instead of the eastern side of explorer creek! I wasn't expecting to bush bash so early in the walk but thats what I had to do to make my way up to the proper pad.

I took some pics of the plantation..as you do

And it wasn't long before I had to cross explorer creek

And I arrived at Lake Explorer and had some lunch. The westerly wind was quite fresh.

I then had no real pad to follow but I went around the northern side of Snake Lake and picked up the Higgs track to Ironstone Hut.

Just as the Hut came into view it started to rain. I was lucky enough that it just held off enough so I didn't have to put my rain jacket on.

And what a beautiful little hut it is.

I spent some time reading some entries in the log book, having a cup of soup and generally exploring the hut. It was still only around 2:30pm but the rain was well and truly starting to set in so I made the decision that I wouldn't head around Forty Peaks today and camp at the lakes on the other side, instead I would stay in the hut.

Ok so thats enough hut pics...almost ;)

The hut was quite warm considering it was pretty fresh outside. I went to bed very early and thanks to a possum who insisted on jumping on the tin lid on the wood box I didn't sleep consistently. However the next morning the sun rose to what was going to be beautiful blue skies.

Im now done with the hut pics I promise ;)

So I headed off quite early to try and find my way across to Middle Lake. I started by walking over the northern side of Forty Peaks to get a view of the lakes ahead of me.

Once down at the lakes I walked between Lake Chambers and Johnny Lake and made a note of the perfect camp sites around the edges. Nice grassy areas that could hold dozens of tents if not hundreds! However the westerly was blowing quite hard and it was sleeting so I was happy to have spent the night in the cosy hut.

So far the navigation was very easy and the terrain although quite wet from the rains the day/night before and the general lay of the land, it was reasonably easy and open.

There are 100's of little lakes and tarns in area and the flowing water is plentiful. I eventually arrived at Fisher river and after walking down it a bit to find a spot to cross without getting my feet too wet I negotiated my way over a little rise and back down to finally see Middle Lake. This little stretch, even though still very easy, was the thickest scrub so far. Discounting my little error at the start of the walk where I had to bash my way from fisher to the other side of explorer creek.

Once I was down at Middle Lake it looked like there were a couple of abandoned packs. On closer inspection there were also two pairs of boots and some clothes hanging up. I had a little look around the area but couldn't see anyone so I can only assume they were hiding somewhere fishing.

Once at Middle Lake it was easy enough to pick up on the pad that is Blue Peaks Track and walk back out.

It was a pleasant little walk. No real elevation changes and the whole area is easy to navigate and walk around. I saw a lot of snakes and had a fall after a snake decided to appear under my foot whilst I was mid stride :shock:

The gps said it was around 24 klm's but the gps software at home said it was around 21 so somewhere around there.

Here are a couple of data pics.

DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lakes Explorer, Nameless, Middle and many others...

Postby walkabout » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks for the trip report and photos, Dan. This was a walk I was hoping to do this summer, but life had other plans for me. A year or so back I managed to do some exploring part way along the Blue Peaks track and also to the junction of the Fisher river and Explorer creek, just behind Lake Mackenzie. If it doesn't get too cold and wet over the next month or so I'm going to head back to the BP track, otherwise it's something to look forward to next summer. :)
walkabout
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maaxxx » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 8:00 pm

Don't think you missed much by not keeping to your planned route at the start. We headed out on Feb 25 and walked down the eastern side of Explorer Creek, intending to follow the "track" shown in Chapman's book along the east side of Lake Explorer. The track to the lake was fine (with a fresh set of dog prints) but, after that, there were only a few well spaced cairns but certainly nothing resembling a track. It was all scrub, boulders and animal pads. A bit of a struggle but we eventually came out on Higgs Track at Snake Lake and spent the night in Ironstone Hut. We too had someone dancing on the tin outside and having a bit of a nibble on the edges of the cork grips on our walking poles. The weather got pretty variable from there and the thick fog made for some interesting navigational challenges on the way to The Walls. Had a great time though. Love that area!
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby stepbystep » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:19 pm

Did that loop over 3 days recently but went out over 40 Lakes to Turanna Heights/Bluff. Great area. The log book had some hilarious entries, particularly if you read them out loud and in character :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:22 am

DanShell wrote:I wasn't long into the walk when I realised I was no longer on the pad and as it turned out I managed to head fisher river instead of the eastern side of explorer creek! I wasn't expecting to bush bash so early in the walk but that's what I had to do to make my way up to the proper pad. ]

I did the same thing about a year ago by going too far upstream looking for boulders to cross the river on. If I had looked closely at the map I would have noticed that the Fisher divides so that although I crossed two streams they were both the Fisher. By the time I realised my error it was getting a bit late for my day walk to Forty Lakes peak, so I explored the area where the rivers enter the lake and decided it was much better to cross at the high water mark of the lake rather than by going further upstream. So I went back this year and made it to Forty Lakes Pk and back. Maybe next time I should try your cross country circuit instead of out and back the same way.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DanShell » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know my trip reports are written in a very plain and simple manner (I am a simple man 8) ) and the pics are only taken on my phone so they are rather drab in comparison to some on here, so I appreciate the comments.

walkabout, don't let the cold weather stop you. There was a brisk wind up there on the weekend and it was freezing in the morning. But I got away with only wearing my wind jacket, polypro gloves, beanie and neck sock...all the big guns were still in my pack.
Heres a screen grab from the go pro of my big head gibbering on about something........I look cold!
goprograb.jpg

Max, now that I have been up there and I have an idea on the terrain I am keen to have a look at walking out via zion and the walls. I may even have a crack over easter, although my overland booking is for the weekend after so I may not.

Stepbystep when you say you went out via Turanna Bluff, did you meet up with the blue peaks track to get back out?

Mrwalker I recommend it, it is quite easy terrain to navigate if you have some navigational experience.

I didn't even know you could walk up to the walls from this area. Well you can walk anywhere if your determined enough, but I didn't realise there was a known route up to Zion gate. Ive got Chapmans book from the library at the moment and until I read the comments here I hadn't read his alternate access to the walls! Always learning.........
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 2:21 pm

I really enjoyed that report. And don't complain about the quantity of hut photos; I could look at them all day. Yours are really good.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby chickenman » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 6:55 pm

lovely trip report
chickenman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanShell » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks kanangra.

I have started documenting my walks with my go pro, mainly for my family but I am going to start putting them on youtube. So if you can put up with me dribbling on constantly and my poor shakey camera work then you guys might be interested in watching as well. Oh and when I watch my videos back I notice I say Ummm everything 5 seconds so Ill need to make a conscious effort to stop that! Its because I am male and I can't walk and talk at the same time ;)

Anyway here it is....let me know what you think.

DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kitty » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Danny, Thanks for posting the pictures and track. Its looks beautiful and very inspiring. kitty
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Maaxxx » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 1:31 pm

G'day Dan. Thanks so much for putting up the vid. It brings back some great memories. Many of the footprints you mention were probably ours. So nice to recognize intimate features that caught our attention a week or so before you, such as rocks we rested on and the geocache hide that you probably weren't aware of, etc. You certainly seem to have chosen the better route around Lake Explorer. Much more open than the east side. The hut was great in deteriorating weather too. Looking forward to Part 2.
Cheers,
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words :)
Here's part two............

EDIT: I actually watched it back myself last night....lots more useless dribble and Umms and Sooo's in this one!

Last edited by DanShell on Thu 19 Mar, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 6:19 pm

And a little time lapse experiment.
I'm looking forward to doing some more with this in some nice locations. Once I learn a bit more about it.

Last edited by DanShell on Thu 19 Mar, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 8:21 pm

Awesome mate. If you ever need a walking partner, let me know. I am a dawdler and don't talk much :D . Great country up there.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Maaxxx » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 9:22 pm

Ah! So that's what's on the other side of the hill!! Nice job Dan but one thing mystifies me. What is that blue stuff in the top half of the screen?? We didn't actually see any of that out there! :o
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks gents.
We may even organize a walk one day after our OLT walks, Simon. Justin wants to start doing more as well. I'll be able to talk you both into discounts on my purchases ;)

Max, one of the great things about living where Simon and I live, is we can pick the sunny days for short weekend walks, although I admit it doesn't always work out as you hope once in the mountains.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 19 Mar, 2015 6:44 am

Sounds good mate - I definitely need to get out more, too much time stuck at home working.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Maaxxx » Thu 19 Mar, 2015 8:04 am

Yes Dan, I definately envy you being able to just pop out there whenever you like. Certainly better than having to plan months in advance. I generally choose this time of year to walk in Tassie though. Weather normally seems fairly stable. On my 4 previous multi-day walks in that area I have had only one day/night of "unseasonal" weather. (Rain in the late afternoon and snow at night.) I guess I was due for a change! No big deal! It all adds to the experience. (As long as I get the occasional view along the way.) :D
Max.
Maaxxx
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 7:02 am

Maaxxx wrote:Many of the footprints you mention were probably ours.

...unless they were bare feet. I walked in the Blue Peaks track to Grassy Lake barefoot the previous weekend. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby DanShell » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 7:57 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
...unless they were bare feet. I walked in the Blue Peaks track to Grassy Lake barefoot the previous weekend. :-)

So they were your packs and BOOTS I saw abandoned :lol:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 20 Mar, 2015 8:41 am

Dan, nice pics and report. I especially liked the last panorama dawn shot of the hut. Next trip you find some abandoned people.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Christine Dennis » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 8:47 am

Hello Dan thanks for your great detailed report and videos. I walk with local N W walk club and have enjoyed a couple trips to areas, via higgs track past lady lake hut and camping at lucy long, and doing day walk to nameless and other lakes nearby and back to lucy long. Also into from Mackenzie to blue peaks lakes and camping 2 nights, great weekends fishing by club members. then out via fisher bluff. so well done and happy safe walking. Chris d.
Christine Dennis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for the comments :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DirkJ » Sun 24 May, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Dan
Thanks for your trip reports and photos. I have loved reading them. Also enjoyed your trip report of the Overland. I have just started bushwalking in Tasmania so thoroughly enjoy them. Slowly starting to get fit and getting all the gear and learning to navigate. Don't have a GPS. What advice would you give to a noob. Have started to devour Chapmans books and this forum to increase the knowledge base. Best regards Dirk
DirkJ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanShell » Tue 26 May, 2015 12:37 am

DirkJ wrote:Hi Dan
Thanks for your trip reports and photos. I have loved reading them. Also enjoyed your trip report of the Overland. I have just started bushwalking in Tasmania so thoroughly enjoy them. Slowly starting to get fit and getting all the gear and learning to navigate. Don't have a GPS. What advice would you give to a noob. Have started to devour Chapmans books and this forum to increase the knowledge base. Best regards Dirk

Hi Dirk I am a bit of a noob myself so I'm not sure I'm the best person to be giving advice but are you looking for GPS help or just advice in general for starting out?
Im happy to help a new person like myself to not make some of the mistakes I've made!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 26 May, 2015 1:29 pm

DanShell wrote:
DirkJ wrote:Hi Dan

Hi Dirk I am a bit of a noob myself so I'm not sure I'm the best person to be giving advice but are you looking for GPS help or just advice in general for starting out?
Im happy to help a new person like myself to not make some of the mistakes I've made!

Don't need a GPS for all walks. In particular, if you're starting out you're likely to be on well-trodden tracks where a GPS is unnecessary and quite frankly you're better off using the experience to learn basic nav, compass reading, map-to-ground recognition of contours/features etc. Perhaps get yourself a book on navigation and put it into practice when you're out and about. Once you've got a handle on that and want to do some more adventurous stuff then maybe consider a getting a GPS, but learn how to use it properly before venturing out. GPS is great but not a substitute for basic nav. I do think tho that there are times when a GPS is extremely useful, eg. I'd definitely take one on the route described in this thread (given the lack of high points, many, many lakes and propensity for clagginess), but if you are, as you say, starting out, that'll probably be a way off... venturing solo onto the plateau, while not physically difficult, is not "noob" territory IMO. Enjoy :)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DirkJ » Tue 26 May, 2015 9:21 pm

Dan and Walk FB Walk.
Thanks for your replies. And input.
I have been up to Lady Lake Hut and done a number of day walks on well trodden tracks with a pack with not much gear but have weighted it up just to get used to walking with a pack. I want to start by doing simple over nighters and testing the nav skills. Just to start to get the lay of the land as you suggested Fat Boy. See if I can pick out the high peaks and practise my back bearings... see if I can triangulate myself.

I have read that the iron deposits near Lake Nameless can wreck havoc with compass bearings. So I am a little weary of that. Any tips etc would be welcome. I want to make sure I can get to a position on the map and be able to recognise or figure out where I am , and learn map reading skills. ( I have not read maps and navigated for 30 years) I believe it is my choice to go out there, so I have to be self sufficient and competent and tread lightly. I do not feel up to doing a Nameless to WOJ walk yet but would love to do one in the future. So thanks to you both. But would appreciate pointers.
DirkJ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Tue 26 May, 2015 10:22 pm

DirkJ wrote:Dan and Walk FB Walk.
Thanks for your replies. And input.
I have been up to Lady Lake Hut and done a number of day walks on well trodden tracks with a pack with not much gear but have weighted it up just to get used to walking with a pack. I want to start by doing simple over nighters and testing the nav skills. Just to start to get the lay of the land as you suggested Fat Boy. See if I can pick out the high peaks and practise my back bearings... see if I can triangulate myself.

I have read that the iron deposits near Lake Nameless can wreck havoc with compass bearings. So I am a little weary of that. Any tips etc would be welcome. I want to make sure I can get to a position on the map and be able to recognise or figure out where I am , and learn map reading skills. ( I have not read maps and navigated for 30 years) I believe it is my choice to go out there, so I have to be self sufficient and competent and tread lightly. I do not feel up to doing a Nameless to WOJ walk yet but would love to do one in the future. So thanks to you both. But would appreciate pointers.

G'day Dirk ,
Especially in that almost treeless area you can mostly know where North is in day light and if you use an analogue watch you can even get it a bit more more accurate but to keep things easy at mid day you will be looking approximately due North , West in the Afternoon and of course East in the morning,you can also teach yourself to find South in the night if the Sky is clear and you can see the Southern Cross (or just remember where North was b4 you went to bed :lol:) .
Another thing to teach yourself is to regularly turn around to see where you came from to enable you to remember features for you return trip if required,visit Google Earth to give you a better Idea of the terrain if you are unable to visualize it on the Map, Mate do the easy yards and you Map reading skills will come back to you and I may add that there are some quite defined pads in that area :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby DanShell » Tue 26 May, 2015 11:59 pm

Dirk as far as navigation goes its probably better that I leave the advice to the people who are far more experienced than me and by the sounds of it you may have a better understanding on the subject than me anyway, especially if you have been involved with it in the past. :)
But one of the best tips I got on here (from GPSGuided I think) was to familiarise myself with Hand rail, Back stop and Aiming off techniques, which I did. I also grabbed an orienteering book for my ereader and watched several youtube videos on the subject. After a while they all start sounding the same...which I guess is a good thing.

I have only just started to push my very limited boundaries slightly with some easy 'off track' walking, mainly in open areas such as the one in this thread. I have accidentally had to do some off track scrub bashing because I lost the very faint pad and ended up following possibly a wombat trail! So instead of bothering to go back to where I knew there was a pad I chose to have a crack at bashing my way through the scrub to meet up with the pad further on.

On all the occasions I have had a go at off track stuff (a whopping 4 times now) I have found my targets really easily but I admit I have also used my GPS to reassure myself that I am heading in the right direction, which I was every time. I like to keep asking myself, "can I find my way out of here if I can't use my GPS". If I can't, then its time to head out before I get in too deep. I think its fair to say that its important to carry a PLB if your going to push your limits, but some may say its also irresponsible to push your limits to the point of needing outside assistance to find your way back to the car ;)

If your ever looking for a slow, unfit walking partner to gain some more experience with let me know and perhaps we can get lost together one day :lol: I too am wanting to walk to the Walls from Mackenzie, I didn't think it would be that challenging, in fact a lot of it probably has well defined pads anyway.....but theres no fun in following those :twisted:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 May, 2015 11:46 am

DanShell wrote:But one of the best tips I got on here (from GPSGuided I think) was to familiarise myself with Hand rail, Back stop and Aiming off techniques, which I did.

I like to keep asking myself, "can I find my way out of here if I can't use my GPS". If I can't, then its time to head out before I get in too deep. I think its fair to say that its important to carry a PLB if your going to push your limits, but some may say its also irresponsible to push your limits to the point of needing outside assistance to find your way back to the car ;)

Excellent advice. Navigation technique can be advised from a book but navigation has to be learned on the ground over time in many different places and conditions before there is a near-certain capacity to manage what may arise. In some places I use point to point navigation, going from river junction to hill to an easily identifiable body of water. Often I'm not too concerned about precisely where I am as I know that in an hour or less it will be sorted. Also, time spent getting a precise fix is time that is usually better employed moving. On one trip I did in two short days what a party of brilliant navigators did in three very long hard days at the same time. They left late, kept stopping to check where they were, and moved slowly. One dill had a 33 kilogram pack for seven days ... I was walking solo and was much faster.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Next

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes