Mt Shakespeare failed attempt

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Shakespeare failed attempt

Postby naturelover » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 8:32 pm

Why post a failed attempt at a mountain? Well, because I personally find it useful to know what didn't work so as to eliminate it from the list of possibilities, or at least to consider it carefully before tackling it.
A group of us headed out on Sunday to climb Shakespeare, not over the usual Wylds Craig route, but rather from the east, following forest roads for as long as possible, and then heading basically due west to the top. My blog report has an image of our route to make it clearer. The summary of the effort is not "don't do it; it can't work" , but rather, "if you want to try it that way, allow sufficient time."
We didn't set out until about 9.15, and the leader of the party didn't want it to be a late day. I had brought a head torch, assuming we'd aim to hit the road just before dark and walk down in the dark, but the leader planned on being back at the cars much earlier than that. This meant we were home in time for dinner, but it also meant that we didn't get near the summit. The road took us nearly two hours in each direction, and in the time allotted for the bush and actual climb, we accomplished a grand total of 600 ms in each direction. Luckily, the two hours we spent in the forest were very beautiful ones: it is glorious forest. But, Shakespeare remains on my bucket list. Moving steadily, the clearing of obstacles, ducking and weaving meant that we moved at 9 minutes per 100 metres. If one goes to the top this way, it is going to take many, many hours to reach the top.
Next attempt, we're going the usual Wylds Craig way.
Sadly, that was the most unproductive trip I've ever done, photographically speaking. I don't tend to take photos walking on roads, and in the forest, we were working except for the turnaround lunch stop, where I took a mere two shots.
URL: ttp://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au/
Meanwhile, a far more successful trip was had to the Southern Ranges the week before, where we climbed Mt Alexandra, The Hippo, Knife Mountain, Lake Mountain, Maxwell Ra HP and La Perouse. Story and photos are in the blog below the Shakespeare one. Here is a photo as taster.
Attachments
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_3016.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes