Freycinet Full Circuit (LRG PICS WARNING)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Postby DanShell » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 3:30 pm

I recently walked the full Freycinet Circuit. It was a high reward for little effort type walk and I highly recommend it. We also did a side trip down to Bryans beach. We loved the camping.

Sorry for the large pics, I recall someone saying the forum has a size limit so Im not sure if I am with in that limit.

Like all walks I haven't done before I was full of anticipation as this one even though quite touristy I was still looking forward to. I have been here many times before and done all the day walks the area had on offer but I was keen to walk up over the mountain to get those iconic views.

Walker registration

Tourist everywhere going up to the lookout...luckily we are going in the other direction just up the track

Only a short while into the walk you are over looking Coles Bay

My young accomplice on this trip

And before you know it you drop down onto Hazards Beach

A quick Lunch stop at the beautiful Hazards Camp Ground

One of the many snakes we came across on this trip

Plenty of fresh water so far. We were lucky as the area had a huge drop of rain a few days prior

Well worn pad across to Cooks Beach

And then Cooks Beach

At the other end of Cooks Beach is the Cooks Hut camp ground, our spot for the night.

Cooks Hut has plenty of water, although only one tank is ok The other have wriglys in them, I ran the water through a sawyer regardless.

There was plenty of daylight left so we went for the side trip walk down to Bryans Beach and wished we had of set up camp down there, it was a perfect little spot. Probably not so much with your mate, but a nice romantic spot with your wife perhaps!

Then it was back to camp for a well earned drink ;) And relax while watching the hordes of people turn up and set up camp :(

Another Local...

And the Loo

The Hut

Looking back towards the beach

We spent a nice night there and got up early and set off to do the walk up over Mount Graham before the rest of the tourists set off!
So we are off to do approximately a 1000 metres of elevation and get some great views.

Up.....

Along.....

And up.....

Another snake to scare the daylights out of me!

Collecting water as the reports are that there is none for the rest of the walk

And we are soon at the junction to climb Mount Freycinet, however for various reasons we decided to not to drop the packs and go up it as we are also about to walk straight over the top of Mount Graham and they are similar elevation and the same views. It was a good decision as the day was quite a slog in the heat with limited water.

Theres a bit scrambling to get over Mount Graham Its only around 650 mtrs but there is a lot of elevation changes throughout the day.

We arrive at the top of Mount Graham, drop our packs and find the highest point and proceeded to nearly get blown off it! Im in the process of editing a full go pro movie that will give some graphic demonstrations of how windy it became up there.

My little mate looks like the Michelin man with that wind

Another Local having a feed

And just for those that may be wondering, thats Hazards Beach to the left and Wineglass Bay to the right...our camping spot for the night....if we can find some water

And down we go, you can see the track in the distance

Lunch!

Another little snake...this ones not so scary

After a big day of elevation changes we finally arrive at the Wineglass Bay camp ground. There is an inlet flowing into the ocean and even though its tannin stained its fine to run through the filter and drink or at least use for rehydrating our meals so the few tourists we ran into during the day that told us there is no water at all slightly mislead us.

My young mate especially liked Wineglass Bay because during the afternoon there are loads of tourists who come and go and he was delighted that some of the young ladies were skinny dipping!

All the walkers that camped at Cooks the night before didn't arrive, except for a couple of them. The rest apparently walked back out along the same way they came the day before. They missed out on the whole reason most people come to the area...to get the views.

The next morning was quite cold, there was a very fresh Tassie breeze.

But only 5 minutes into the walk I was stripping the warm clothes off as usual. I usually like to start walking feeling a bit cold as I know I heat up straight away but this day that wind lured me into wearing warmer clothes!

Just a short walk up over that gap and we are back to the car.

We sign back out and its all done :) About 38 kays and well over 1000 mtrs in elevation.

It was what Id call a high reward, low effort walk. I have done a lot more in Tassie where a 10 kay day has felt like 30 and the views weren't anything too spectacular so this one is great one for kids imho.

I hope you enjoyed.
And sorry for so many pics with my boof head in it, but my mate was chief photographer on this trip!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Freycinet Full Circuit (LRG PICS WARNING)

Postby skog » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 5:53 pm

I do have to do the walk into Hazards beach.

Nice weather :)
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 8:09 pm

Good report and nice photographs especially the Mountain Dragon and I also like pics with people in them :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby thejungleisneutral » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 7:40 am

I'm headed to Freycinet myself next week, so thanks for the report.

Great pics
thejungleisneutral
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Bushcraft Magazine
Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks for the comments

Yes the weather was hot and sunny that weekend, luckily we had a huge dump of rain the week prior so we were able to get water. Had the water flowing at the wineglass end not been reliable we would have had to walk out that day.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 6:12 pm

You're quite lucky it rained. When I've camped at Wineglass Bay in the past the water was definitely not fit for consumption.

Because of this I've had to walk the opposite to the preferred direction, and haul 10 litres of water over the saddle and along the beach to camp.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 9:13 am

RonK wrote:You're quite lucky it rained. When I've camped at Wineglass Bay in the past the water was definitely not fit for consumption.

Because of this I've had to walk the opposite to the preferred direction, and haul 10 litres of water over the saddle and along the beach to camp.

wow 10 ltrs of water. We carried around 4ltrs each (3 in bladder and around 1 in a bottle) but I drank mine going over Graham, it was a stinking hot day. Everyone coming the other way said there was no water at all so we were thinking we would have to walk all the way out that day.
The water was flowing quite rapidly at Wineglass camp ground so Im not sure why they all said there was no water. Maybe the Tannin staining makes its look not fit for consumption?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 6:11 pm

Hehe - a bit if tannin shouldn't bother anyone, but it was definitely not flowing when we were there. It was little more than sludge.
So we carried enough water to camp overnight and get us over Mt Graham next day.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes