Parsons Track

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Parsons Track

Postby Lones » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi there, am looking for a short walk to somewhere we can camp overnight, in the Great Western Tiers - we only have a few hours available late Saturday to walk - am wondering whether it's possible to camp at the various spots along the way to Parsons Track?? Hills Logging Hut, Norms Spring etc??
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Parsons Track

Postby billshep » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 10:13 pm

The Hills Hut is quite habitable and only a short walk in. The little Haberle hut further up is delightful but cramped.
billshep
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 5:13 am

There are spots to pitch a tent at haberles hut. For a variation when returning do the alternative route, I think they call it Charlie's track.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrWalker » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 8:02 pm

I went up there last weekend and can confirm that Hills Hut would be good to camp in and is about an hour up the track. After you leave the wide track 20min(?) after that there would be very few good camping areas before Haberles Hut, which is very small (sorry, I didn't look inside that one), but it's in a flattish area. It would be roughly 2hrs from the start, maybe more if carrying camping gear up the hill.

Note that Haberles Hut is 100m off the main track. There is a taped track leading up from that hut but it goes up the hill about 500m away from the main track and I'm not sure where it ends up. The main track continues from the sign pointing to Haberles hut and is not easy to find at times. Don't continue past that point if it's getting dark.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lones » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks all :)
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii