Pindars to PB?

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Pindars to PB?

Postby alex75 » Thu 01 Jan, 2015 8:49 pm

Gday all,Just wondering if anyone has walked this section of the Sthn Range in recent weeks and can give me a heads up on current track/scrub/water conditions? Know its a scrubby slog of a day but has anyone on the forum attempted Pindars to PB summit in a day? Wondering if 10 hrs walking sounds reasonable if travelling light in decent weather? Have previously walked to Pindars in a day but recognize the terrain gets increasingly difficult beyond this point.cheers
alex75
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pindars to PB?

Postby pazzar » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:27 am

That would be a big day, and not worth wasting the amazing country along the way. It took me 4 hours to walk from Ooze Lake to Wylly Plateau, then it was at least another 6 hours from there. So 10 hours is doable I guess. Great camping at Wylly Plateau though.

I walked through here a couple of years back and the track was in good condition. There is good water at Leaning Tea Tree Saddle, and there was a tarn under Mt Victoria Cross. Other than that, there is not much until you ascend PB, where there is a creek running down the slopes.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby alex75 » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks for the solid info Pazzar-much appreciated. I agree with you on timing-ideally I would spend a few days exploring the inner section of range but with work and a little one on the way soon,time is looking scarce...4 days out might be about as much as I can scrounge! Really want to cross PB off the list before other priorities take over for a while though. Might have to be a mission
alex75
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby creeping_moses » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 2:49 pm

I've done Pigsty Ponds to PB Low Camp in a long December day. Including summiting Whylly and VC. We didn't summit Pindars as we'd all been there recently. Left as the sun came up and arrived just after it went down. Like you we wanted to do the full range but only had 5 days for the trip including the walk out on the South Coast track.
creeping_moses
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alex75 » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:52 pm

Yeah cool,good to hear its a possibility ,albeit a demanding one. Have been to Hippo,La Perouse & Pindars before so will just push through. Gonna be 4 big days but thinking along these lines: Day 1: Mystery Creek-Leaning TTS(11 hrs). Day 2:Leaning TTS-PB summit-PB low camp(11 hrs). Day 3: PB low camp-Mt Wylly-Ooze Lake(10 hrs). Day 4: Ooze Lake-Mystery Creek(9 hrs) Obviously weather may have a fair say in how things pan out in a 4-day window too,will watch the chart and hopefully have a crack this month
alex75
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alex75 » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 11:21 pm

Went out last Fri for 4 days and had a great trip. All clagged in on Fri until late arvo but apart from that,the weather was kind. Walked from Mystery Creek to Ooze Lake on day 1, Ooze to knoll near Kameruka Moraine on day 2 (Nav was a bit tricky in thick fog on this day up around Wylly area),on day 3 the PB summit was under cloud through the morning so decided against a 10 hour return slog for no view and,reaching my turnaround time headed back toward Wylly Plateau. By the time I reached Pindars it was low cloud over everything west yet still clear to the east. Based on this, I climbed Pindars and then La Perouse where I spent an amazing still final night out on the summit. PB will have to wait-bit frustrating but glad I didnt walk in only to have it cloud over before I reached the summit.Made the the right choice as it turns out and was an unforgettable night out on sunday. Have posted a few pics also. Cheers
Attachments
2015-01-13 23.16.32.jpg
20150111_204841.jpg
20150111_145255.jpg
20150110_202328.jpg
20150110_201459.jpg
20150111_150227.jpg
alex75
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tigercat » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 6:24 am

Great photos, especially the first one, thanks for sharing
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Scottyk » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 9:19 am

great pics
The one of the high camp is great. I love camping on top of mountains
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby naturelover » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion. I'm going there this autumn and was interested to hear the chat. Adored the pics, thanks alex75!!!! LOVED those tent shots. Can't wait to get there.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes