Scott-Kilvert Memorial Hut

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Scott-Kilvert Memorial Hut

Postby DanShell » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 12:35 pm

My son and I decided to spend the weekend having a look around Cradle. The weather forecast was reasonable so we were hoping to summit Cradle at some stage but unfortunately we missed our opportunity but really enjoyed the hike anyway.
Our pics are only taken with a little point and shoot so they are nothing special and rarely do the scenery justice but heres some of them anyway. Sorry if there are too many pics.

We didn't get to the visitor centre until just on lunch time, which didn't really matter as we knew we only had a 3-4 hour walk to the hut.

The usual bus ride down to Dove Lake.

Signed the registration book and we were off full of the usual first day excitement.

It wasn't long until we had veered off the Dove Lake circuit track and was making our way up towards Hansons Peak.

We stopped for some lunch where the track splits to either go over Hansons or down past Twisted Lake, we chose the Twisted Lake track because we had plenty of time.

The track was wet and steep at times and the clouds were restricting our view a little but it was still an enjoyable little diversion around Hansons.

We managed to frighten a French chap having a rest in the emergency hut near the Face Track turn off!

The weather wasn't as sunny as it had been forecast but it was still looking reasonable enough. We were debating taking the opportunity to go up the face track and summit cradle but took the risk that the next day would allow us to do it then.

So instead we set off down to Lake Rodway and settled into the Hut.

We were soon joined by several other people and had a nice night chatting around the coal heater. And a sleepless night as the usual hut snoring kept us awake!

The next morning we was looking quite overcast but we set off up past the hut towards the Overland track.

This section of track was quite wet and steep at times but we slowly kept at it and soon enough arrive at the top onto the Overland Track to a nice crisp wind!

The clouds were blowing in and out very fast as they can up there at times so we took as many pics as we could when the opportunities arose.

By the time we got around the back of Cradle to the summit turn off the weather had really blown in so it was decided that today wasn't our day so we continued on past Kitchen Hut and across to Marions Lookout.

The scenery was of course limited with the clouds being so low but we still managed a few pics.

And before we knew it we were doing the lovely knee jarring trip back down to the Dove Lake car park where we caught the bus back to the visitor centre, donated some money for the return of some greasy fatty food and then headed home.

I think we managed close to 18 or so kays over the two days so it was a nice little hike but plenty of elevation changed to let you know you had done it.
We live local so there is plenty of opportunity summit Cradle another day.
Last edited by DanShell on Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Scott-Kilvert Memorial Hut

Postby corvus » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 4:21 pm

Danshell,
Loved your pictorial account of that nice circuit walk brought back many memories of similar trips with my son and nothing wrong with point and shoot camera for keeping memories :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby DanShell » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 9:56 am

corvus wrote:Danshell,
Loved your pictorial account of that nice circuit walk brought back many memories of similar trips with my son and nothing wrong with point and shoot camera for keeping memories :)
corvus

Thanks, I just noticed while looking at my pics on the iPad that all the photos are only showing the left side of them! I think they are too large or something.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 11:30 am

As per the site rules, you should scale them down to max dimension of 800 pixels, OR upload them to your post as attachments (which will then display them as 800 pixel thumbnails linked to the full size version). :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby DanShell » Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:13 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:As per the site rules, you should scale them down to max dimension of 800 pixels, OR upload them to your post as attachments (which will then display them as 800 pixel thumbnails linked to the full size version). :-)

Ok whoops, sorry about that. It only took me 9 edits to work out how to restrict the size to 800 pixels without actually resizing them all!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes