Mt Anne Track: High camp hut with kids

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Anne Track: High camp hut with kids

Postby klaashartmann » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 2:04 pm

Given the awesome mid winter weather we've had over the last week, I decided to take my daughters (3 and 4 years old) on their first overnight hike. We ended up settling on the High Camp Hut (below Mt Eliza on the Mt Anne track) as the hut looked cute to them and they were pretty keen on the idea of staying in a hut. It was a bit of a mission fitting all the gear for the three of us in one pack!

The kids had a good time walking, drawing in the sand and building sand castles along the way, but were rather relieved when the hut finally came in view (700m elevation gain later)! They enjoyed the hut, setting up our sleeping quarters upstairs and playing games and reading stories. We had intended to head up to the top of Mt Eliza the next day before walking back, but they were a bit too exhausted for it. The way back was a bit more challenging for them as they were still sore from the day before and they were delighted to get back to the car for lunch. I really enjoyed taking them on this trip and apparently they did too as they are keen to go again (although they reckon they'd like a hut that's a bit closer)!

I thought I would share this for anyone else contemplating on hiking with their kids! It's a great track with perfect views, lots of age appropriate challenges - climbing up steps and getting through a bit of mud. The 4 (almost 5) year old walked the whole way, the 3.5 year old walked the whole way up but got carried about half the way back. We don't have UL hiking gear and carried a tent and water for the whole trip, so the pack was probably around ~20-25kg. Add a child on your shoulders and that makes a fair load. With a bit better gear and more thoughtful packing (I over-catered substantially!) I think the pack could easily have been 10kg lighter.

I think for the next trip we might head over to the Twilight Tarn Hut and camp somewhere nearby (or along the way if the little legs run out of steam!)

53755_10203612670071278_2725961802474121280_o-2.jpg

10515239_10203612670471288_8393493258520448686_o.jpg

10534621_10203612669071253_5004944688062210174_n.jpg

10542774_10203612669631267_2883850820675096132_o-2.jpg

The uphill gps track
http://www.strava.com/activities/171035717

The downhill gps track
http://www.strava.com/activities/171035714
klaashartmann
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Anne Track: High camp hut with kids

Postby eggs » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 2:30 pm

Great effort. I took my 13 year old daughter up to the hut and onto Eliza plateau a few years back.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Scottyk » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for the report. Great walk and I have often thought it would be a good one for kids as the track is well constructed for the most part and the knowledge there is a hut at the end to get everyone out of the rain if its coming down would be good.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Travis22 » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 5:52 pm

Fantastic trip with your little ones. Glad they enjoyed it!

Travis.
Travis22

Region: Victoria

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 8:02 pm

Travelling just in general with kids can be a real challenge.

But it's a wonderful legacy to pass to your kids.

I don't have a very good memory in general, but by far my strongest and best childhood memories were travelling to places like the Flinders Ranges and Grampians.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 9:24 pm

So cool to see parents getting their kids out into the bush....especially at that age!! Well done.

but seriously, how did you keep those two young grommets SO clean ??
I can get dirtier than they are just getting my pack out of the boot........couldn't they find any mud??!!
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby klaashartmann » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words. As Scottyk says, the track is well constructed and there is limited overhanging scrub which is great for kids. On some other walks there's lots of scrub that brushes past my legs which gets the kids in the face -- not much fun for them!

Also, being on a ridge with some excellent track work means it's largely mud free. The sections with mud are short enough that I carried them over them (maybe 10-15 sections a few meters long -- a real mud-free anomaly for SW Tas!), hence the surprisingly clean kids. I slipped and fell in one of the few muddy bits near the end, much to their amusement so I was the mud monster (although nothing like the real mud monster I've become on other SW tracks!)
klaashartmann
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ben.h » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 1:57 pm

Nice work Klaas. Great photos, looks like the kids enjoyed it!
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 5:25 pm

Wow that is an absolutely amazing effort for your girls to get up there. It's a steep demanding walk. Don't know if you have been up there before but the track up to Eliza is not as well formed and a lot steeper. There's some bouldering to be done and I think you'd be carrying the little one for the most part of it.
Aren't the views just amazing up there. Such a beautiful outlook a very spectacular part of the world.
Congrats again on the walk with he little ones
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for that. I have a 2.5yo and a 4.5yo and am wanting to start getting the family walking again.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tibboh » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:22 am

What a great dad you are. I am doing this (when the weather improves) with my son.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby naturelover » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 10:25 pm

Lucky kids to have a dad like you. What a great start in life, to be introduced to views like that so young. They'll grow up fit, that's for sure.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Burnsy » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 4:13 pm

Great photos, we are currently gearing up to be able to get our two girls onto the track as a whole family, till now it has just been off road touring and small walks. Can't wait. Have you done any more over nighters with them since?

Keen to see gear and food lists and comments about what worked what didn't when walking with two kids.
Burnsy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby klaashartmann » Thu 06 Aug, 2015 2:36 am

Burnsy wrote:Have you done any more over nighters with them since?

Sorry for the late reply Burnsy. We've only done one over nighter since, a much more relaxed walk to Bivouac Bay (I posted on it here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18280 )

We would have done more but spent most of the spare time since then getting ready for a family sailing trip up to New Caledonia. We're sailing back to Tassie in the next month and hopefully will get all three girls (the youngest is 1.5 years old) out for some overnight hikes this Summer.

Burnsy wrote:Keen to see gear and food lists and comments about what worked what didn't when walking with two kids.

I wrote about our gear here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17843 . The new setup is much nicer and should make it possible to carry the 1.5 year old along.
klaashartmann
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stinky_pete » Tue 18 Aug, 2015 6:57 pm

Awesome effort!
stinky_pete
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes