West Head

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

West Head

Postby naturelover » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 4:50 pm

I was expecting West Head to be much scrubbier and more unpleasant than it was, given what others say about it. It certainly does not have a good reputation. I have described the route we took in my blog, but as it is off track, shall not do so here. It is definitely not my favourite mountain, but that's because of the view that did nothing for me, not because of the scrub. I didn't even bother donning my scrub gloves.
It doesn't pay to summit West Head shortly after having been in the Western Arthurs, where spire after spire greets you as you gaze out from the summit. To redeem it from a completely harsh judgement, I must add that there were some pleasant gullies with mossy rocks that had appeal, and the bellendena montana, which are forming colourful seed heads at present, were a welcome change from the predominating swathes of bottle green hakea and Leptecophylla juniperina.
If you want the fuller report with track description, please see natureloverswalks.blogspot.com

Here are two pictures of the area.
Attachments
IMG_9754.jpg
IMG_9762.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes