Cathedral Mt Storm

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Cathedral Mt Storm

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm

I reckon a few people here might remember the weekend of Feb 8-10, and particularly the Sunday! It was a long weekend for those of us based in Hobart. Some northern friends nicked the Monday as well, and joined us for a trip to Cathedral Mt (actually a quite spacious plateau).

We struck hot weather and very dry conditions on Saturday, especially after we left the forest. It's a 500m ascent from the end of the Mersey Forest Rd to Tent Tarn via Chapter Lake, Grail Falls and Chalice Lake. A "vigorous" westerly change was forecast for the Sunday, but there didn't seem to be much rain associated.

On Sunday morning we summited Cathedral and Twin Spires in overcast conditions. The route is pretty well cairned at present. By lunchtime the wind got up quite a bit and the sky darkened. We decided to retreat to our tents - and that's when the fun started!

I've written up the walk in more detail - and in two parts - on my blog, starting here http://www.naturescribe.com/2014/02/a-v ... art-1.html

cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Cathedral Mt Storm

Postby naturelover » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi Peter,
I read and enjoyed part one, but am particularly looking forward to part two - the vigorous storm. Alas, your link doesn't take me there, so I am all deprived f vigour.
How do I navigate to this storm???
Cheers, naturelover
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gayet » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 8:10 pm

At the bottom of the page for Part One, hit the Next Post button and voila!
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby icefest » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 8:43 pm

Gusts of 150km/h.

Sounds like another day of type 2 fun in Tassie :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 9:36 am

naturelover wrote:Hi Peter,
I read and enjoyed part one, but am particularly looking forward to part two - the vigorous storm. Alas, your link doesn't take me there, so I am all deprived f vigour.
How do I navigate to this storm???
Cheers, naturelover

Thanks for commenting Louise ... sorry to leave you in suspense :wink: In case you didn't find part 2, here's a direct link http://www.naturescribe.com/2014/02/a-vigorous-change-part-2.html

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes