Timbs Track to Tiger Lookout

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Timbs Track to Tiger Lookout

Postby stoogest » Sun 19 Jan, 2014 10:46 am

A few months back we did great little walk up the Timbs Track, passing by the massive tree known as 'Twisted Sister' and doing the 'Lungs of the Land' loop walk on our way to Tiger Lookout.

It's taken a while but I've finally gotten around to writing up my notes and processing the photos!

This is a very easy walk that just about anyone could attempt, although during wet conditions parts of the track will get boggy and/or slippery. I thoroughly recommend this walk to anyone keen on experiencing the atmosphere of a real rainforest, or to anyone wanting to participate in the logging debate! Easily doable as a day trip from Hobart as well.

Drop by Two Clowns Tripping for the full write up.

Cheers!
Andrew.
Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Timbs Track to Tiger Lookout

Postby Butterfly_dawn » Sun 23 Nov, 2014 4:36 pm

I just attempted this track today. LOTS of fallen trees over the track. Look like recent falls from the big winds we've been having.
Managed to navigate over/around 3 or 4 of them and then it was just getting a bit too agricultural to find the track again so we turned around and went back.

On another note, this whole area needs better signposting. Had gone up to do Mt Sprent but no signposts meant we missed the turnoff on way back from the dam amongst however many unsignposted side roads and by the time we realised it was too far to go back.

Mt Wedge next time
Butterfly_dawn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Timbs Track to Tiger Lookout

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 25 Nov, 2014 6:50 pm

[quote="Butterfly_dawn"]I just attempted this track today. LOTS of fallen trees over the track. Look like recent falls from the big winds we've been having.
Managed to navigate over/around 3 or 4 of them and then it was just getting a bit too agricultural to find the track again so we turned around and went back.

If you were finding Timbs track a bit of a challenge then perhaps you should be grateful you missed the start of a few of the other walks in the area. I walked along Timbs track to Churchills Hut on the 24th and thought the whole track was in pretty good nick. The return along Cooks track wasn.t so enjoyable though. Walking through Forestry re-growth doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes