Mt Styx

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Styx

Postby bluewombat » Sun 23 May, 2010 10:58 am

I decided to go for a walk up Mt Styx about 2 weeks ago, but because of the organisational requirements did not actually do it until yesterday. Mt Styx is behind the Maydena range and hence in forestry tasmania's territory. That meant getting a key to unlock the gate on Jacques rd to get to the start of the track. That meant a trip to Forestry offices in Melville st, Hobart in office hours. They were quite helpful and told me the various side roads to watch out for, took a $100 dollar key deposit and warned me if I lost the key I could be up for several thousand dollars in re-keying costs. :o
Yesterday morning the temperature in Maydena as I drove through was 2 C with clear skies and little wind. By the time I had driven along the Styx road (which is open to the public to get to the Styx forest reserve) and turned right onto Jacques road it had dropped to 1 C. The gate is a little up Jacques road and after wrestling with the lock in its Ned Kelly outfit I continued on my merry way. There are several turn-offs to confuse you but if you continue straight ahead you will ultimately go under the high tension wires and cross the Andromeda link road. Jacques road continues uphill with the power lines remaining on your left. Ignore the Jacques road spur 2 turn and keep heading uphill. Not far past the spur road turn you will come to a logged area with an obvious quarry at the end. Park before the quarry. This is just under 5kms from the turn off on Styx road. At about this point I realised I had forgotten the camera and would need to rely on the trusty phone camera, still that's better than last week when I forgot my water bottle and had to drink out of puddles with a zip lock bag.
Walk through the quarry and straight ahead on a steadily rougher 4wd track for a bit over 1/2 km. Just past two large logs which have been partially removed to clear the 4wd track is an obvious cairned and taped route on the high (right hand) side of the road. From here the track is fairly easy to follow, a little rough in places, and occasionally a little obscure. The lower section is through some forest, where fungi were prolific and at times frozen. The middle section continues up through some overgrown boulder fields which yesterday were covered in frost and very slippery. Lost my prescription sunglasses somewhere in that section. Finally you pop up onto a heathy plateau with the historic summit cairn in the near distance. The pad continues obviously to this.From here the views to the Snowy range and Mt Field areas were spectacular, further south was a little cloudy. You get a real feel for the layout of the peaks of the Snowy range in particular. It took me just under an hour to get up to the peak, 40 minutes down and a couple of bruises from slips on icy rocks. Back at the car it was a balmy 2 C.
Mt Styx is a shy one, you never really get a good feel for the peak as you are driving to it or walking up it. The summit plateau is not remarkable either but on a clear day the views really make it worthwhile. For me its a 3 out of 5 peak.
Mt Styx 22.5 (2)_Medium.jpg
Mushroomsicles
Mt Styx 22.5 (4)_Medium.jpg
Frost crystal
Mt Styx 22.5 (6)_Medium.jpg
The Summit cairn
Attachments
Mt Styx 22.5 Snowy south and Nevada peaks_Medium.jpg
Snowy range
Mt Styx 22.5_Medium.jpg
1.30 pm and still ccccold
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Styx

Postby stepbystep » Sun 23 May, 2010 11:08 am

Nice one thanks bw, will get out there one day - too many summits so little time :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 30 May, 2010 6:46 pm

Some interesting photos. Looks like a good walk. I'm loving this new track report section in the forum. Its a great addition.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 30 May, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks WalkinTas. I thought it was a good idea :)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes