Southern Ranges, SCT and SW Cape Circuit Video

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Southern Ranges, SCT and SW Cape Circuit Video

Postby Guido » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 7:24 pm

Hi,

Jan - Feb 2024 I walked the Southern Ranges, South Coast Track and South West Cape Circuit.
Here is a video report of the trip. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jC4AYSr8RY
Guido
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Southern Ranges, SCT and SW Cape Circuit Video

Postby bumpingbill » Wed 17 Apr, 2024 8:23 pm

Great video! Well done with PB. Weather looked awful but what can you expect.

Im surprised you missed PB low camp. Usually pretty easy to find, but you’re far from the first to miss it.

And I’m wondering which way you went up PB to hit a massive cliff! Don’t suppose you could PM me your GPX to see how your walk differed from mine?

Anyway well done! Diving into the rest of the series now. *&%$#! brilliant stuff. My favourite videos of all are PB/south west stuff.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Guido » Thu 18 Apr, 2024 12:53 am

Thank you! And well, I wasn't really looking for PB Low, so that may have something to do with me missing it. I remember seeing like a T-junction and I guessed left for the main track - right must have lead t PB Low. And about the cliff, I'm pretty sure it was on the main route. There were cairns. My guess is the weather - being absolutely horrible - just made a reasonably easy 3 metre climb a lot harder than it could have been.
Hope you enjoy the rest!
Guido
Guido
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby phATty » Thu 18 Apr, 2024 7:11 am

Brings back some great memories, Guido. The Southern Ranges are one of the most windy places I've ever been, it took two attempts to finally traverse it the full way. The first time our tents were ripped to shreds at Pigsty Ponds, the second time we got through but we had a bit of a restless night at Ooze Lake where my mate had to brace his tent with a walking pole.

It's worth knowing that there are sheltered spots in the scrub at Ooze and down at Reservoir Lakes below Pigsty Ponds. The only really bad spot if you use these is Wylly Plateau which I'm sure in bad weather could go absolutely nuts.
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes