Overland Track April 2015

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Overland Track April 2015

Postby stansi » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 6:38 pm

Dan, thanks for the trip report, read it all and love every picture.
A well documented excursion.
I am certain you will inspire many.
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:26 pm

Good.
They've gone back to admitting that Cynthia Bay is the southern end of the Overland, which goes back to the original 80km length.

I'm just disappointed you didn't try the Cuvier Valley route back down. It's fun . . . :twisted:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby DanShell » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks Stansi :)

north-north-west wrote:Good.
They've gone back to admitting that Cynthia Bay is the southern end of the Overland, which goes back to the original 80km length.

I'm just disappointed you didn't try the Cuvier Valley route back down. It's fun . . . :twisted:

Don't be disappointed Ill be doing it when I go into Pine Valley next, I love that sort of stuff :twisted:
Last edited by DanShell on Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:31 pm

And we reached the end? Great report with lovely iPhone photos! Thank you.

Did you consider a side trip to Pine Valley? I wonder what percentage of walkers do that side trip?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:33 pm

GPSGuided wrote:And we reached the end? Great report with lovely iPhone photos! Thank you.

Did you consider a side trip to Pine Valley? I wonder what percentage of walkers do that side trip?

LOL Ironic that I just mentioned it at the same time you posted this!

I did consider it especially aa the weather was nice but I wasn't prepared food wise to tackle it this time. I am going to do it in the near future though. In fact there are so many tracks in that area I want to have a look at. Lucky I live just down the hill 8)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks Dan........we are pretty much going to lock in the trip for our family of five.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 7:42 pm

Ah, didn't know you are just down the road. I thought you are from Victoria for some reason. Lucky you to be so close! We did the Pine Valley this past summer and it was amazing. Overestimated our group's walking speed and didn't leave enough time to go up the Acropolis. Really need a day for each for the Acropolis and the Labyrinth. Up the Acropolis and then rush to Narcissus for the ferry is just not on.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby axcarmil » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks for the detailed report and pictures. I've been avoiding this walk because of its popularity, but your report and pictures are making me think that I should consider reconsidering this decision. It looks like you had a great time, even with all the people. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience (here and prior to this walk). There is a lot of useful information, particularly in the questions you posted and the responses you received leading up to the walk.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DanShell » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks for the comments.

axcarmil wrote:Thanks for the detailed report and pictures. I've been avoiding this walk because of its popularity, but your report and pictures are making me think that I should consider reconsidering this decision. It looks like you had a great time, even with all the people. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience (here and prior to this walk). There is a lot of useful information, particularly in the questions you posted and the responses you received leading up to the walk.

Even with the crowds its easy to place yourself away from them during the day while your walking. I quickly learnt who was faster than me and who was slower, so I did my best to position myself accordingly but really its not such a big deal. I usually had a quick chat or quick "see you down the track" with anyone I ran into and went on my way.
As for the huts well there is no avoiding the crowds in them if your a hut person. I usually had a soup or something in the hut and had a bit of a chat to the people in them so they didn't think I was a total snob but mostly people stuck to themselves.

I was happy to have a cuppa or drink and watch the time slide by each afternoon outside near my tent. I am glad I did it out of daylight savings time, it worked well for me. I was happy to climb into my tent most nights when it got dark and read for a while.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 3:36 pm

axcarmil wrote:I've been avoiding this walk because of its popularity, but your report and pictures are making me think that I should consider reconsidering this decision. It looks like you had a great time, even with all the people.

I've done the OT three times. The people I met there were at least as interesting as the indisputably impressive landscapes.
You need to keep an open mind.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 4:14 pm

RonK wrote:I've done the OT three times. The people I met there were at least as interesting as the indisputably impressive landscapes.

Are you a tent person or a hut cabin person?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 4:54 pm

axcarmil wrote:Thanks for the detailed report and pictures. I've been avoiding this walk because of its popularity, but your report and pictures are making me think that I should consider reconsidering this decision. It looks like you had a great time, even with all the people. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience (here and prior to this walk). There is a lot of useful information, particularly in the questions you posted and the responses you received leading up to the walk.

If you're up for a winter walk, you can have your hut and some peace as well. I've spent a few nights in Pelion hut with only one or two other people.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 5:38 pm

Well done Dan,
Great report & photos.

For me.
Fine weather = tent
Wet Weather = hut
I also enjoy meeting other walkers on the track, also interested in what they cook & how they cook it.
I start Back Country meals around day 5, with Steak days 1 & 2, Bacon days 3 & 4 :wink:
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 6:34 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
RonK wrote:I've done the OT three times. The people I met there were at least as interesting as the indisputably impressive landscapes.

Are you a tent person or a hut cabin person?

Depends on the weather. All my crossings were done in October, so it was still decidedly cool. Tenting was ok in fine conditions, but in cold and wet I'm not much motivated to tent.
The platforms at Kia Ora are a most memorable place to pitch a tent, and never any coal left for the hut stove in October anyway.
RonK

Postby bumpingbill » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 7:17 pm

Tortoise wrote:I've spent a few nights in Pelion hut with only one or two other people.

Indeed.

When I wandered down the track, I had the hut to myself three times out of five. I had an entire room to myself in Pelion. So the only time I had to share was early on in the walk.

It was luxurious, to say the very least!
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jeffoir1 » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:02 am

Heh Dan,
What a fantastic trip report! Really well done to you with beautiful pics!
My brother, myself and my son walked the OT last November. A mix of weather. Rainy days...sunny days. All good.
I'm with you there on the Back Country Food. Six days...eeek! We sprouted some alfalfa sprouts and mung bean sprouts, in stockings, on the back of our packs, dunking them in water at every stream. Freshened up the dry food very nicely.
Thanks again for some great memories of the OT.
Very best wishes, Jeffoir
Walking takes longer... Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~ Edward Abbey
Jeffoir1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:34 am

Jeffoir1 wrote:Heh Dan,
What a fantastic trip report! Really well done to you with beautiful pics!
My brother, myself and my son walked the OT last November. A mix of weather. Rainy days...sunny days. All good.
I'm with you there on the Back Country Food. Six days...eeek! We sprouted some alfalfa sprouts and mung bean sprouts, in stockings, on the back of our packs, dunking them in water at every stream. Freshened up the dry food very nicely.
Thanks again for some great memories of the OT.
Very best wishes, Jeffoir

Thanks Jeffoir. What an interesting way to jazz up your dry food :D
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:47 am

I have posted up Day 1 of my trip on Youtube. Youtube hasn't processed it in high definition yet but hopefully that will happen within the next 24 hrs.

Before I post the link its important to know that I do these videos for my family mainly, so they are not made with entertainment in mind! Some hiking youtube videos are exciting, action packed, well produced and riveting to watch.....mine are not :lol:
I was way to enthusiastic with the go pro on Day 1 so this first video is quite drawn out and I dribble a lot of *&%$#! as Im walking but once again I am making them for my family. (even my family fall a sleep during them) So if you have 30 minutes of your life to waste here it is.........

Give it a little bit of time, don't let the first 10 minutes turn you off too much ;) As I eventually get to day 6 ill be better at making them and they will only be about 10-15 minutes per day...i promise :lol:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 3:34 pm

Dan, just give us the time code for those segments where you needed to use expletives. We'll stay awake. :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:26 pm

That was good Dan - prime time viewing.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 8:31 pm

simonm wrote:That was good Dan - prime time viewing.

:lol: :lol: The next ones will be better.....and shorter :lol:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:08 pm

err love it :) has been >10 years since i did this track, i'd like to go back. lovely pics, don't underestimate your abilities with the iPhone and the go pro :)

i read your pack list too and i thought it was pretty restrained - the whiskey n coke is clearly de rigueur - one needs to wind down in the evenings.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby philm » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 7:57 am

Nice report Dan with some excellent photo's - perhaps a winter trip next?

The tracks at DuCane gap to the Traveller (gate post track) are not obvious to prevent everyone doing them - I have some details if you need them. The walk up the gatepost track to the top of the Traveller is worth while and you can camp up top and wake to the best views on a good day.

We did the OT in April a few years back and the first few days were all rained out so not much in the way of views until we arrived at Kia Ora. Hence I really enjoyed your photo's.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby DanShell » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks suz and Phil
I have been up on and around the plateau at cradle with my son several times but always in bad weather.
He was amazed looking at the pics and video as he has never seen the views!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 7:36 pm

Come on Dan....when's the next episode??
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:04 pm

weeds wrote:Come on Dan....when's the next episode??

haha Ill do my best to get day 2 done this weekend :) The last thing I expected was people asking to be subjected to another of my videos!!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 24 Apr, 2015 12:04 am

It's a great show! But do understand how time consuming it can be with these motion media.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby greyim » Fri 24 Apr, 2015 5:23 pm

Great write-up Dan... and informative pics too for anyone contemplating the journey
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ando » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:25 pm

Great post dan loved the pics also loved your you tube movie I subscribed to your channel and have watched all your vids very interesting after watching your lake Mckenzie loop I'm keen to go to lake nameless think I'll go up Higgs track and head south to nameless got pillians map and Garmin 62s should be ok watching your vid gives insight to terrain cheers mate love your work
don't worry about tomorrow for today has enough worries of its own
Ando
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lizzy » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:36 pm

Enjoying your journey Dan :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides