The Thumbs

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

The Thumbs

Postby naturelover » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 8:39 pm

I nearly forgot to also say that the week before I did the Travellers Range (etc), I climbed The Thumbs with a Pandani group. I have the gps track of our route (up the Clear hill valley) if anyone wants it (in a PM). I was pretty excited to get to the top of that one, especially considering the slippery conditions. Unfortunately, we got no views other than swirling clouds, but they were very atmospheric. At least I didn't turn on my usual blizzard.
Attached here is one photo of the beastie mantled in mist. For more, please see my blog, http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au/
Attachments
Thumbs 25 descending.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The Thumbs

Postby icefest » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 9:23 pm

As usually I've been reading your blog via RSS, thanks for the regular updates!

Do you know if the wire over the florentine is still up on timms track? I've been eyeing that route up the Thumbs for a while.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby naturelover » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 7:41 am

Sorry Icefest. That track has always called me as I've gone past, but I've never explored it, so can't answer your question. I do, however recommend the route we took (if you need more details, just let me know). It was a lovely way to approach such a fine goal. Let me know if you do the other route - I'd be interested to hear. I would adore to sleep up on the saddle just before the summit, and am not sure which is the best approach for that little effort.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 7:59 am

Nice report Louise.
Icefest I can't tell you about the line over the Flozza, but I know the track is an annoying exercise in buttongrass hopscotch.
I've approached The Thumbs from Packers Spur, a ridgeline traverse, that was 'interesting' and makes a daywalk possible with a decent 4WD to get you to the base of Packers Spur. However the most enjoyable route was over Clear Hill and following the edge of the gorge down. Wonderful views of the gorge the whole way down before making a camp near the creek in the valley. For a high camp you could continue with the route we took with daypacks by following the northern spur which also gives stunning views of the gorge, Mt Wright, Stepped Hills etc and then sidling on the eastern side where some lovely spots with water can be found.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 9:43 am

Do you know if the wire over the florentine is still up on timms track? I've been eyeing that route up the Thumbs for a while.[/quote]

If the wire you are talking about crosses from the obvious clearing just below the Florentine Hut then its no longer there.
...or it wasn't last week anyway.

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 2:08 pm

naturelover wrote:Sorry Icefest. That track has always called me as I've gone past, but I've never explored it, so can't answer your question. I do, however recommend the route we took (if you need more details, just let me know). It was a lovely way to approach such a fine goal. Let me know if you do the other route - I'd be interested to hear. I would adore to sleep up on the saddle just before the summit, and am not sure which is the best approach for that little effort.

I've camped just below the summit, on the northern side. Went up Packers Spur, which is probably the easiest way in, provided you handle the bluffs correctly. Then looped around the gorge edge (more or less on sbs's route) and up over Clear Hill. It's a brilliant two to three day circuit.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 4:36 pm

The fox over the Florentine and the Gordon from Timbs track are both long gone sadly!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bluewombat » Sun 30 Nov, 2014 9:53 am

over Clear Hill and following the edge of the gorge down

Just to point out that trying to sidle around the Clear Hill summit and get to the ridge on the edge of the gorge will lead you into a whole maze of gullies and ridges (not to mention nasty scrub). Take SBS's advice, go over clear hill then to the furthest ridge. Mr Wombat tried the 'short cut method', silly Mr Wombat

BW
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Tue 02 Dec, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for all that advice!

That puts Clear Hill and the Thumbs on the list for this summer.

Do I need a 4wd and gate keys to get to to the park near clear hill?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 7:30 am

Nope, the road's permanently open these days and the surface is reasonable, albeit sometimes a bit damp. If you're used to gravel roads you'll be fine. Unless there's a tree or three down . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 8:03 am

I'm assuming you mean the gordon gorge, but how bad was the scrub around the creek flowing into the gorge from clear hill plain?
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 8:09 am

Depends on the line you take. Further you are from the gorge, the more open it is - but the terrain on the lower parts of Clear is also more difficult further back from the gorge. Worst scrub I hit was on the way up Packers. The Abels book says to sidle the bluffs on the western side, which I did. Actually, you should cut through them about half way along, where a pad leads back up to the ridgeline.
But on Clear and around the creek it's not constant, just bands of varying thickness. Nowhere near as bad as I'd expected.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the help. :)
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes