Frenchmans Cap

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Frenchmans Cap

Postby Phil » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 2:38 pm

Hey!

It's been a VERY long time since I've posted on this forum but thought I'd share a few pics from a trip I did last Saturday 18 Oct.

A mate and I left Launceston at 4am and started on the Frenchmans Cap track at 7am, we both enjoy a bit of trail running so the intention was to summit Frenchmans and then out that day.

Weather was favourable, slightly cloudy. The new track that bypasses the Loddons flows really nicely and we made good time. The forested climb up to Vera was slow, as was the section from Vera hut all the way to Barron Pass and that was with light packs on in the order of only 3kg or so! Although slow and hard going, it is all very beautiful nonetheless.

For anyone who's been there, upon reaching Barron Pass the landscape opens up DRAMATICALLY! Wowzers! Barron Pass all the way to Tahune and then to the summit is just absolutely exquisite, it was a real joy to be moving through the mountains in the manner we were, a trail runners heaven!

Although we had not been aware of any wind that day, it was quite cold and blowy on top, even some snow still sitting around. We sat down at 12:30 for some food and enjoyed the vista. After 30mins we were starting to feel cold very quickly so made a start back. Again the trail all the way through to Barron Pass is just breathtaking, we were pinching ourselves and really didn't want to leave!

Back to the car by 6:30pm after a quick and very fresh wash in the Franklin River, 5.5hrs each way. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday!

Here's a few pics, nothing fancy, combination of compressed iPhone and GoPro photos. For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the Garmin/Strava file from the day: http://app.strava.com/activities/208653717

Cheers

Phil
Attachments
1. Moody start.JPG
Early trails.......
2. Barron Pass.JPG
Barron Pass
3. Highland trails.JPG
Flowing trail
5. Summit view south.JPG
Summit views
6. Lunch break.jpg
More summit views
7. Summit shot.JPG
Trying not to get blown off
7a. Summit selfie.JPG
Compulsory selfie
8. Weary legs on the summit.JPG
Weary legs
9. Descending.JPG
Dropping off the cap.......
11. Dropping off Frenchie.JPG
Descending to Tahune
Last edited by Phil on Wed 22 Oct, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Frenchmans Cap

Postby Phil » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 2:39 pm

last couple of pics...........
Attachments
12. Heading back to Barron Pass.JPG
Heading back to Barron Pass
13. Couple of stoked dudes.JPG
A couple of stoked dudes.......
10658775_695708110394_6150946555480438157_o.jpg
King of the world!
Last edited by Phil on Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Postby eggs » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 4:11 pm

Excellent report
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby FootTrack » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 7:57 pm

Great shots and trip report Phil, this is wicked! Those photos are making me itch to get out there myself - what a place eh!! :D
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby klaashartmann » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 8:17 pm

Great stuff! I've been planning to do it this Summer. How much of it were you able to run?
klaashartmann
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Phil » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 8:42 pm

klaashartmann wrote:Great stuff! I've been planning to do it this Summer. How much of it were you able to run?

Hey mate. Have a look at the strava link, that'll give you an idea of our pace and the bits that were runnable. Could basically run all the way through to the Vera (other than the forested climb just prior to reaching Vera). Pretty much walked from Vera to Barron Pass. Could then run maybe 50% of Barron pass to tahune. Then hike up to the Cap. Obviously our hike is much quicker than a walker with an overnight pack on their back.

By comparison, I've run the full OL track from Waldheim to Cynthia Bay (so down the lake) in sub 12hrs.

Also, would love to revisit your Fedders in 24hrs trip from a few years back, one that's on my bucket list!
Phil

Postby klaashartmann » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for that Phil. That's pretty darn impressive! What pack/vest did you guys use? I've been thinking of getting the UD Adventure Vest for the next long trip.

Looking at your Strava profile I reckon you could just about do Fedders as a daytime only trip. The muddy and scrubby sections would be difficult to try and get through too much faster, but there are reasonably long sections you could run (and I hardly ran on my trip).
klaashartmann
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Phil » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:27 am

klaashartmann wrote:What pack/vest did you guys use? I've been thinking of getting the UD Adventure Vest for the next long trip.

I used an Osprey Talon 11, Andy wore a Salomon S-Lab 12-Set. The Osprey is a great day pack with plenty of storage, the Salomon is more lightweight with limited storage but ideal for something like this.
Phil

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:51 pm

I have a great respect for your level of fitness and commitment to the task so I don't want to sound too much like a misery guts here but I'm just wondering if there is any sort of contingency plan for a sprained ankle etc. on an outing like this? With only 3kgs of fodder and clothing in the pack I would imagine any sort of incapacitating injury over Barron Pass or half way down the OLT late in the day is going to have some fairly serious consequences.

Glad it all went well though.

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Phil » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:32 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:I'm just wondering if there is any sort of contingency plan for a sprained ankle etc. on an outing like this? With only 3kgs of fodder and clothing in the pack I would imagine any sort of incapacitating injury over Barron Pass or half way down the OLT late in the day is going to have some fairly serious consequences.

That's a fair comment Al, and I have had ankle injuries in the past, hence the heavy strapping on both legs! :lol:

I can't speak for others, but when I do something like this I typically adhere to the compulsory gear list that is required for the Cradle Mountain Run as a basic guide: http://www.cradlemtnrun.asn.au/images/cradledocs/2015/2015%20Cradle%20Run%20Information.pdf So I do run with spare thermal leggings, long sleave top, beanie, gloves, some first aid, emergency/survival bag (not blanket), emergency food ration.

I guess with anything there is a level of risk and based on my experience and level of fitness, I am comfortable with the steps that I take. Also running with a partner is a wise move - although I have done things link this before on my own: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7814&hilit=acropolis

I would think that the risk of injury is no greater than someone walking the track (with a large amount of weight on their back that effects balance etc), however the point your making I guess is in regards to the amount of gear that we have on ourselves in the instance of injury. Again, I guess it comes back to a safety and risk analysis and then making appropriate decisions around our ability and gear.

Thoughts?

ps As a side note, I know of a trail runner who has done a few full WAs straight through (which obviously includes running during darkness), and this past winter he did a 2-day trip: Birches Inlet - Low Rocky Point - Port Davey - Meleleuca :shock: Again, I guess it comes back to physical ability, experience, skills, planning, and the use of appropriate gear/equipment. We are more and more becoming a society that is wrapped in cotton wool, personally I do like to see people 'venture into the unknown' and give something a go just like the generations before us used to do!
Phil

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 2:30 pm

Hey Phil

If nobody ever felt like accepting a bit of a challenge and the risks that come with it then we'd all probably still be mooching around the Northern Hemisphere somewhere wondering if the world really is flat!!

My first thoughts when I read your trip report were respect for the level of commitment it takes to do something like this. It was only when I got to the '3kgs in the pack' bit that I began to think about the risk levels and what happens when things go pear shaped?
I agree entirely with being confident in your own ability to have a crack at it in the first place but history is littered with clowns who have been light years off the mark in judging their own ability!!
It sounds like you guys have ticked as many boxes as possible to avoid disaster so good luck to you on future missions!

Fedders in a day.........?

My mind boggles!!

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes