multi-day bushwalks PTable from Adelaide

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

multi-day bushwalks PTable from Adelaide

Postby stumbler » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 2:15 pm

Any good tips for actual wilderness multi-day hikes with camping within range of a bus/train from Adelaide?

I got all excited seeing the routes through the hills like Yurrebilla, Lavender and Heysen, but looks like there's no camping on either through the Lofty ranges, plus the wilds are interrupted by quite a lot of on-road and farmland stretches. Plus I get the sense a lot of the Heysen campsites cater for the drive-up-for-the-night-and-play-loud-music 4wd crowd. 1200km continuous bushwalk trail pig's *&%$#!.

There are good day walks around places like Belair and Cleland that I've stomped around, but I really want to spend several nights in a tent (say 3-7 or more). Stealth camping doesn't have that much appeal, as I like a proper composting toilet and preferably water. Digging a hole is dicey at best, and pissing off the ranger isn't my cup of tea.

Research so far is pointing me a bit further afield like the bottom end of the Heysen around the cape, up around Flinders (which looks *&%$#! spectactular) or maybe KI or the Investigator trail out of Lincoln.
stumbler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: multi-day bushwalks PTable from Adelaide

Postby stumbler » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 2:27 pm

I should add: pushbike touring is another interest - Mawson trail looks pretty decent for when I'm in shape for a fortnight+ ride. On a bike I can cover a lot more ground per day / between campsites, but trail selection is necessarily more limited. It does open up the options with on-road sections (as long as traffic isn't too awful) but it's hard to get a sense from maps of which roads are reasonable, particularly through the hills.
stumbler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory