Walks for hot weather / summer

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walks for hot weather / summer

Postby walkingman1 » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 8:43 pm

Hiya all,

I am a weekend walker based in Perth completing a sectional End to End on the Bibbulman Track and other 8-20km day walks within a 1 hour drive of Perth. During December to March I find it difficult to get much walking in due to the heat. I struggle once the temperature hits 25 degrees unless there is good canopy cover. I do go early morning when possible to beat the heat and even did an evening / night walk once.

Does anyone have any other solutions to get out walking during these warmer months? Does anyone have any walks of 5-20 km that they can suggest are in cool locations?

Look forward to hearing ideas.

Thanks

Walkingman1
walkingman1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Walks for hot weather / summer

Postby redrock » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi Walkingman1,

I also find anything above 25 degrees to be too unbearable in the bush for Perth summers and stop walking by about 11am. As you say, early summer mornings are a great time to be out and about, and late afternoon and evening - night walks, especially on trail are fun too. Bold Park and Eagle View are good places. You could also combine this with some star gazing or astrophotography as well.

It's also good to keep an eye on any unseasonal weather patterns - this weekend for example, with possible cyclones up north, there may be a sudden cool changes and rainfall which can be great to take advantage of!

Coastal walks are also good this time of year, and anything near a river or water body is perfect as well.

Other than that, 'down south' is usually cooler this time of year, not guaranteed but usually. ;)

Good luck!
redrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory