Day walks red centre

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day walks red centre

Postby Juudbruinsma » Mon 29 May, 2017 6:49 pm

My partner and I will be visiting the red centre in June. We're only there for a week and will be driving the loop Alice Srings - Glen Helen - Kings Canyon - Katja Tjuta - Uluru - Alice Springs.

Any tips for good day walks (or shorter) along the way? We have pretty much one full day at each site.
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Day walks red centre

Postby bigkev » Mon 29 May, 2017 7:32 pm

If your interested in day walks in the red centre click on Northern Territory in the word index on my blog. I've probably written up over 20 day walks in the area, the walks range from very easy to fairly hard.http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot.com.au

John and Lyn Daly published a walking guide book for the Northern Territory, I think the book is out of print now but when I was in Alice last summer it was still in stock in some shops in town. The book may also be available as an E book on the 'Take A Walk' website.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Juudbruinsma » Mon 29 May, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks Kevin, love your blog, lots of info there! Will also check the Take a Walk site, saw that they have a few books that I am interested in, so thanks for the tip!
Juudbruinsma
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Mon 29 May, 2017 9:03 pm

In the one day with the family at Uluru we climbed the rock for sunrise, then circumnavigated it [~9km] and then did the Valley of the Winds and Walpa Gorge walks at Katja Tjuta.
At Kings Canyon we did the loop walk over about 3 hours.

For the stretch Glen Helen to Alice, see my short sections of the Larapinta report were I was going solo for a week:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14823&p=196643&hilit=counts+lookout#p196636
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory