Hikes around Alice Springs and Larapinta trail

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hikes around Alice Springs and Larapinta trail

Postby fatboyboy » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi, I am hoping to go to Alice Springs to follow the Larapinta trail in June. I would like to explore as much of the area as I can. I have lots of time but I wont have many options for transport. Does anyone know of any other worthwhile trails/peaks in this area either out of Alice Springs or coming off the Larapinta? I am most interested in those areas accessible by public transport / bike / walking ? A hire car is a possibility for shorter trips. I would also be interested if anyone has any info on public transport out of Alice Springs to other good walking areas.
fatboyboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Hikes around Alice Springs and Larapinta trail

Postby north-north-west » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:30 pm

There's a good track up Mt Gillen, which is only a little way out - the track goes up from near Flynns Grave, which is easy walking distance from the city.

While on the Larapinta there are plenty of sidetrips, including the tracks at Ormiston and a number of untracked peaks including Giles, Lloyd, Paisley & Arenge Bluffs. If you don't already have a copy of Chapman's Larapinta Trail book I'd suggest you get it as it mentions a lot of the better sidetrips available as well as alternate campsites.

There are some good short walks in the Eastern MacDonnells, particularly from the Trephina Gorge area. Most of this might be considered a bit far for bike access, although Emily & Jessie Gaps are fairly close. Anything else you'd probably want to consider a car. Rainbow Valley is worth visiting, as are Chamber Pillar, Finke River, Tnorala and a whole lot of other places.

It's a great area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi FBB
I spent a few weeks up around Alice Springs around Christmas time, it was a great summer to be up there as there was plenty of rain around and a lot of the creeks and rivers were flowing.

Like NNW said above Emily and Jesse Gap are close enough to town that you could access on a bike, some walkers have been known to walk the ridge line between the two gaps. To the west Simpson Gap is doable by bike easily enough- theres even a bike path out there and there are some longish walks out there like the Woodland Walk and he walk out to Bond Gap.

Its a hard place to get around without your own transport but if you have time on your side then hitching is a reasonable option up there, the novelty of a bushwalker seems to enhance your chances of getting a ride.

If you want to check out some walks around Alice click on Northern Territory on my blog http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot.com.au some of the walks are recent and some are from years ago, the map at the bottom of each post will show you where the walk is in relation to Alice Springs.

It should be a great trip.
Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Eremophila » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 9:22 pm

There's no public transport outside of the town area. The Alice Wanderer used to do a jump on/jump off loop around town, not sure if they are still operating that service.

There are plenty of tracks in the hills north of town, converging on the Old Telegraph Station. Just be careful not to wander outside of the Parks land onto private property (i.e. cattle stations).

If you head up Mt Gillen you can walk along the ridge to the towers at Heavitree Gap.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby fatboyboy » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks for the responses. That really helped a lot. I have three months to burn and want to get out in to different environments away from those in the south east corner.
fatboyboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory