Larapinta Trail Solo

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta Trail Solo

Postby Chantelle42 » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:29 am

Hello friends!

I am planning to undertake the Larapinta Trail completely solo in the beginning of May to raise awareness for Huntington's Disease (and because mentally, I need it). I know there are a few posts here but I'm still feeling a little lost at this stage, in regards to food drops and transfers, etc. as well as the gear itself.

I really don't want to overload myself with unnecessary gear, but I'm not too sure exactly what will be deemed "necessary". Essentially I'm just looking for a bit of advice on food drops and transfers, as I am starting the trail at Mt Sonder and making my way back to Alice. Apparently there are companies that will do the food drops while taking me to Sonder? Has anyone done this? Also what I will really NEED to take with me.. :?

I'm so excited I might burst but I don't even have a pack yet (eeek). :shock: I did an hour walk with 7.5kgs on my back and hated it so I'd better kick my butt into gear if I want to get this done.

Anything helps! Thank you!!

223forHD
Chantelle42
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Larapinta Trail Solo

Postby Lizzy » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 8:13 pm

Check out this...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14504
Forest's trip was UL but lots of good info.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby dingelberry » Thu 04 Feb, 2016 1:59 pm

The larapinta trail has its own web site it will tell you everthing you need to know.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a

Postby Chantelle42 » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:31 am

dingelberry wrote:The larapinta trail has its own web site it will tell you everthing you need to know.

I know, but it's being updated so there's not much info on transfers and food drops, plus I was just hoping on some insider experience on what was easier. I'm doing my research thoroughly though :D
Chantelle42
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Ryyyan » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Chantelle,
I am a guide on the Larapinta Trail, and firstly good on you!!
It is an amazing trail, for a great cause, and mentally, you're mind and soul will love you for it!

So in regards to food drops, Alice Wanderer help organise food drops and transfers I believe.
World Expeditions do transfers, and potentially food drops too.

I haven't read Lizzy's link above, so I may be repeating myself here, but the Larapinta is a trail all to itself like no other.
I am from Tassie, and so am used to dirt, mud, water and lots of duckboards.
The Larapinta is a whole heap of rock. Very old (very hard) rock!
It can really take its toll on people who aren't prepared for the trail conditions.
Train with good, comfortable, supportive shoes, with lots of protection, and walk on a load of different terrains, over different lengths of time, and particularly on hot sunny days.

I have never seen blisters like the ones people have acquired on this trail. You will need to do some good endurance and strength training with a decent sized (and filled) pack.
Strengthen your knees, your ankles, and if you have new boots, wear them in properly. Even strap your feet for the first few days around the areas you're prone to get blisters.

I hope that didn't scare you cos I am back in Tassie right now, and I can't wait to get back up there for the winter!!!

It is a magical and truly ancient place.

You will dig it.
Ryyyan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: -
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 6:46 am

Chantelle42 wrote:I really don't want to overload myself with unnecessary gear, but I'm not too sure exactly what will be deemed "necessary". ... Has anyone done this? Also what I will really NEED to take with me.. :?

Many of the campsites have shelters, but some don't and there is always the possibility of not making it to a scheduled camp, or of wanting to camp elsewhere so you need some sort of shelter - a small, lightweight tent or, at the least, a tarp (& groundsheet) in case of rain (yes, it does sometimes rain there). Make sure you know how to set it up quickly.
Warm clothes for the evenings. It can get very cold in the Centre at night. Merino thermals, down jacket (or vest) and a good fleece beanie.
Sleeping bag with a below zero comfort rating.
Sleeping mat with a decent R rating.
Stove, cookset and fuel. (campfires are banned on the Larapinta).
Rainjacket (also good as a windbreaker on some of the more exposed sections - if it isn't too hot).
Water carrying capacity of at least 3 litres, preferably 4.
If you aren't used to wild water, some sort of filtration or treatment system. The tank water is fine untreated, but sometimes you have to rely on other sources.
Maps (although the track is well marked and it's hard to get lost).

Food is a very personal thing, but take Staminade, Hydralite, or some other sort of electrolyte powder/gel. It makes a massive difference to how you handle walking in the heat.

Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat.
Some people insist that boots are necessary, but they aren't. You do however need strong, reliable walking shoes - normal runners will often not hack the rougher rockier country.
Shorts are adequate if you aren't going off track (there are some fantastic sidetrips possible from the track, but spinifex is not nice to bare skin). Gaiters not necessary (again, unless you're going off-track).

John & Monica Chapman's Larapinta Trail book is a good guide. When I did the walk back in 2013 they were in the process of collecting notes for a new edition, which I assume would be out soon if not already. Worth investing in. The official walker's pack from NTP&WS is also well worth the cost - the section maps & notes are very handy and very well done.

Camera isn't essential, but I reckon anyone who doesn't take one is short-changing themselves. It's beautiful country. Wish I could get back in there . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Eremophila » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 7:39 pm

Some repellent will be handy.
And (obviously) a basic first aid kit.
A book, or kindle, for the evenings. Not a necessity but good to have.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 11:28 am

Eremophila wrote:Some repellent will be handy.

I've found a heavy scowl &/or snarl keeps the numpties from annoying me. Flies don't tend to be so much of an issue during the usual walking season. The cold nights discourage their presence.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Eremophila » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 7:45 pm

I think there has been some recent rain, which means flies & other bugs will breed up. Early May, the nights aren't yet cold enough to kill them off.
A cheap flynet is another option. Sections of the trail intersect with cattle country, where the flies can be "plentiful".
Must practice my scowl! The other half attracts mozzies, I attract flies.
Eremophila

Postby sososimps » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 8:40 am

I did Larapinta with a Meetup group in July/ August last year, starting at Mt Sonder heading back to Alice. It was the second pack carry hike I'd done since 1993, and it was amazing.

We got dropped to Sonder by Alice Wanderer, and they also took care of our food drops. My mum who came too, and the leader of our group, were 65 at the time (I was 36). There are people hiking the track from school kids up to (fit) grandparents, so it's very do-able. Some items I'd recommend/ tips: gaiters (the spinifex is really sharp, and will shred your legs!); a fly net for your face (20g from S2S); it gets very cold (0 degrees not uncommon) as soon as the sun goes down so you'll need layers and a good sleeping bag; if you can fit your pack in your tent overnight you will reduce the risk of mice attacking your bag (learnt this from experience). I also found my hiking poles, which I bought specifically for this trip were the best money I spent - essential, for me at least.

The track is very well marked, and on some of the legs very well walked too. My personal favourite days were Mt Sonder, and the Pound Walk at Ormiston Gorge. On both of those days we stayed 2 nights at the same campsite to give us time to explore. When you do the Pound Walk, do it in an anti-clockwise direction. The views on both of these legs are spectacular.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
sososimps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sososimps » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 7:31 am

I thought of another crucial thing. The trail is incredibly rocky and incredibly uneven, so I highly recommend boots with good ankle support, a very sturdy sole, and very cushioned inner soles.
sososimps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wobbly » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 9:42 pm

I've used Glen Helen Resort transfers service for both food drops and transport- they also provided rodent proof food drop boxes which you can just leave in the food drop point once you've accessed them. You'll have to call or email them as per their website http://www.glenhelen.com.au/red-centre-tours/, They aren't cheap but there are no cheap options other than hitch hiking.

PS I seriously hope that line about walking for 1 hour with 7.5 kgs was a joke otherwise I'd suggest not starting out on such a big walk until you've experienced and are sure you're comfortable carrying at least 12 to 15 kilos for days at a time.
wobbly

Postby walk2wineries » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 8:50 am

Absolutely agree with above. Phone coverage very variable - Top of Mt Sonder works! if you are solo and not very experienced a PLB is probably a must. I had to clear ice from the windscreen after staying in Alice, and then it would be hot during the day so the combination of carrying plenty of water plus cold weather gear means you can't get away with a light pack. I tend to be a boots person 90% of the time but even I found that good walking shoes were okay - they MUST have a thick sole though or your feet are going to notice the stones. Sunnies are a must not a luxury. A few overnights first would be sensible; depending on where you live or work climbing a dozen flights of stairs isn't bad practice and some beach walking on soft sand is good too. I would take sticks and importantly I would start using them when you don't need them or your arms will complain when you do.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby dagsands » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 3:05 pm

Chantelle42 wrote:
I'm so excited I might burst but I don't even have a pack yet (eeek). :shock: I did an hour walk with 7.5kgs on my back and hated it so I'd better kick my butt into gear if I want to get this done.

Anything helps! Thank you!!

223forHD

Hey, good on you, and how exciting! I did an awareness raising trip in a previous life (breast cancer on motorbikes) and it's still the coolest thing I've ever done. My advice is to drum up lots of media interest well before you set off and then a reminder message before you leave. And make sure you have something visually interesting for the photographers, whether it's a hat, a colour scheme, a banner, anything unique to your mission. More chance of getting on the front page :)

But specifically I wanted to recommend the pack I use. It's the osprey aura anti gravity 65lt. It's a women's specific pack and I swear the anti gravity claim is for reals. I love my pack and it makes loads feel lighter. Also I swear by my hydration bladder. Source 3lt. After the first couple of uses it doesn't taste of plastic and fits well in the pack. No leaks and a user friendly mouth piece that doesn't dribble.

Good luck and enjoy the trail and the journey :) x
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory