Walk suggestions for a weekend around Adelaide/Barossa

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk suggestions for a weekend around Adelaide/Barossa

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 6:51 pm

I'll be working in the Barossa Valley (based in Angaston) for three weeks, and I have each Fri Sat Sunday free. I have a car available for my use. As I'm restricted on baggage, with work gear etc I've decided not to take camping gear, and will stay in accommodation somewhere, and just do a couple of day walks. I'm thinking Flinders Ranges for the second weekend in November I'm there, as hubby is flying in to join me for the first free weekend in Glenelg and Adelaide. Any good suggestions?
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walk suggestions for a weekend around Adelaide/Barossa

Postby philm » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 8:51 am

I'd suggest Mount Remarable national part. You can stay at Melrose - either good Hotel accommodation - North Star Hotel or the caravan park in cabins.
You can easily access the park by going north to Allegator Gorge or going west to access it from Mambray Creek. There are some great walking options in the park and it is a nice part of the Flinders.

It will be about 1.5-2hour max from the Barossa.

Other options would be Wilpina Pound but this is about an additional 1.5-2 hours dirve from Melrose.

There is a walking guide (pdf) on line on Mt Remarkable park - plenty of tracks.

I'd suggest the hidden gorge walk which is best access from Mambray creek (about 18 fairly easy kms) - loop track.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Johnnie Walker » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 9:02 am

Hey osm,

Walks in Flinders: http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/trail_experiences.asp?type=walking&region=1063 and http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Flinders_Ranges_and_Outback/Flinders_Ranges_National_Park.
Flinders is around 450 km. from Angeston (5 hours I guess) and accommodation I can think of is in Hawker, Rawnsley park and Wilpena pound.

Walks in the Barossa: http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/trail_experiences.asp?type=walking&region=1059 (I've done most of them, you can ping me if you have questions)
10 km. out of Williamstown (to Kersbrook) is a nature reserve, can't think of the name. Easy 2 km. loop with lots of native vegetation and wildlife.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby photohiker » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 9:50 am

Just be aware:

Fire Danger Season brought forward 2014/15
Heysen Trail to close early this summer
The dates for the 2014/2015 Fire Danger Season have been brought forward. The Heysen Trail is closed during these high risk times.

Code: Select all
Fire Ban District            Start Date                End Date
Mount Lofty Ranges           17 November 2014          30 April 2015
Adelaide Metropolitan        1 December 2014           30 April 2015
Mid North                    1 November 2014           30 April 2015
Flinders                     15 October 2014           15 April 2015
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions
Lots of choice!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 6:30 pm

agree with weekend suggestions.
While you are in the Barossa, the 2km loop johnnie walker suggested might be Roachdale?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/Assets ... eTrail.pdf Pretty, and easy, although its the other end of the Barossa I think.

There are lots of walks in the Mt Crawford forests there.

May I suggest this as a great source - lots of brochures to download http://www.walkingtrailssupportgroup.or ... aindex.htm I particularly like Hale and Warren, not too far from Angaston - lots of orchids in season, might be a bit late now. Little Kieserstul is nice, too... Or Altona. or... If you are feeling a little more energetic head for the Goldfields walks or Parawirra. I'd skip Steingarten if its hot - very little shade or shelter for a lot of it.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory