my first solo walk .. some suggestions for a week in SA

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

my first solo walk .. some suggestions for a week in SA

Postby brett70 » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 1:55 pm

HI, first time poster.....

I've always walked in groups. However the serenity of solo walking is calling me.

I want to do a safe walk within a week. Preferably crossing the paths of some other walkers.
I have 30 years of experience bushwalking and climbing but with many long breaks in between.
Previously I've walked many trails in the lower & mid Flinders and also in the Gammons up to Mt Babbage,
Also walked in Gampians, NZ, OS... etc etc.

Looking for some ideas on a circuits. (I always opt for wilderness experience over some of the more rural/farm traversing btw)

Dates:5-12 July
2WD access only
Departure: Adelaide (so the long drive to the Gammons wipes out a couple of days return)
Happy to treat/boil water... not keen on a full water carry with no refill options.

Thanks, Brett
brett70
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: my first solo walk .. some suggestions for a week in SA

Postby philm » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 8:29 am

Interesting question. If you like the ranges and hills the Flinders is hard to beat. The main walks around SA outside the Flinders are the Lofty Ranges and the Heysen Trail but much of the track before the Flinders proper is relatively flat. For 1 week I would suggest the Flinders Central area but walking solo may not be the best and you would probably need water unless there has been recent rainfall in the areas.

A trip to Wilpena perhaps and you can do several days out in the Pound through to Bridle Gap then out via the Norther side of the Pound Mullaga Falls? As I said you would probably need water but could check with National Parks at Wilpena about recent rain fall. I would be comfortable solo up there with a PLB.

Other options would be part of the Heysen but I don't really rate the walks further South as interesting as I don't like coastal / flat / undulating farmland.

Perhaps another option would be Kangaroo Island.

In the Flinders and some parts of KI you may not see many other walkers.

Perhaps fly to NT and do the Jatbula track near Katherine - this time of year is great?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 1:28 pm

The start of the Heysen from Cape Jervis is a suggestion. It's coastal, but it's not all flat either. water is easily available this time of year and you're sure to find other walkers about, but not a lot unless you strike a school group.

Doing it on your own presents transport problems. I managed to sneak onto the first morning bus but the company doesn't officially allow it. Bus from Victor Harbor back to Adelaide is easy.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walking_addict » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 10:18 am

^ a nice comfortable 4 day walk overall, or have a short 2nd day to Eagle Waterhole, has shelter shed, then another 3 days to Newland Hill CP . . .leave HT at inland junction turnoff and follow coast into Victor Harbor via the bluff and beachfront.

We had no probs taking the Kangaroo Is / Cape Jarvis bus down (~ '93 ?), arrived late arvo, and walked about 1.5km along to camp night near big pine tree.
I doubt you'll see anyone else if it's mid week, but the solitude is refreshing along this beaut coast.
It will likely a wet walk, if drier preferred then head north Flinders perhaps.
Cheers,
Les
Walking_addict
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:21 pm

This is only 3 days, but has the advantages that its easy access for the solo- beginning and end are reachable by public transport. http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/pdf/yurrebilla.pdf

You might do some of the walks from Mambray to Melrose - some are a few days -or to wilmington, get a pub meal every few days! have you considered the Lavender trail, or bits of it - not exactly wild I suppose but see http://lavenderfederationtrail.org.au/web/

Search "adelaide" on the forum - I had a vague recollection that this sort of question had come up before, so i tried & got a lot of hits so its probably best foryou to look? Also check out the heysen trail - the sections circumnavigating adelaide would keep you going for more than a week. But there are some lovely sections in the fleirueu and southern flinders as well.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 7:26 pm

Looking at your experience I would suggest repeating one of the longer walks you have already done in SA but in Winter. The Flinders is luverly in Winter.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory