Girrraween Eastern Peaks circuit water sources...

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Girrraween Eastern Peaks circuit water sources...

Postby ofuros » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:07 am

Just as heads up on water sources for anyone contemplating the Eastern Peaks circuit,
so you don't have to carry so much water, like I did. :oops:
Info as of 2 weekends ago.
In a clockwise direction from Mt Norman Day use area......

Cutting through the valley between Twin Peaks & Billy goat Hill....Racecourse creek

On the edge of the plains between Billy Goat Hill & Bald Rock. Paling Yard creek.....nice spot for a break. :)

Upper Racecourse creek about 4m from the side of the track at South Bald Rock campsite....

There's another small flowing creek just before the ruined homestead as you come to the end of the this circuit.
Hope that helps someone......see you on the track.

Ooroo,
ofuros
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Girrraween Eastern Peaks circuit water sources...

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:53 am

Yep, plenty of places to get water out there, especially at the moment...

I'm heading out there the weekend after next for a 4 day walk, mostly off track and when studying the map for possible water sources along the planned route I noticed that the creeks are generally less than 2k's apart anywhere in the park. My plan is to carry 1L and have a 2L container to fill up toward the afternoon when I'm thinking about setting up camp.

As murphy's law would have it I lost my compass at work last week which is a pain in the *&%$#!... Not irreplaceable but one that I'd had for years so it had plenty of character and also sentimental value as it was given to me by a friend who is no longer with us... I turned my car and office inside out (a couple of times) but no luck :evil: It was a good one too...

Whats the route of the eastern peaks circuit? I'm guessing from your post it goes from Mt norman day use area, up between billy goat and twin peaks on the fire trail, turn right at the next locked gate and head SSE past dingo swamp on the walking track (either to the west or east of dingo swamp?) to Sth Bald Rock and then roughly west back to the day use area? Was it a day walk?

Cheers
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi phan_Tom,
For some reason I thought the creeks may be dry so I carried just under 5.5litres..... :oops:
2lt orange juice container, 2lt camelback bladder + 2 600ml bottles in the side pockets on my pack. Half my total load.
Its was really just a recon / fitness trip for me so I could get to know the area, terrain & any likely water sources along the way,
for a longer trip later on.
I did the circuit in a day....around 29k's....a long day mind you.

Spot on..day use area to Twin Peaks & Billy Goat hill....then through the locked gate you mentioned, through patches of forest & across the plains,
on a very general easterly heading. Where your supposed to drop down into Bald Rock camping area & camp over night.

I skipped the Bald Rock side track (leaving it for another day) & kept on heading south & climbed Little Bald Rock,
siding around to South Bald Rock to its bush camp.
Balance your way across the tree bridge at the upper racecourse creek crossing 5mins from the bush camp....
...then head uphill & thread the needle between West Bald Rock & Middle Rock. Pass the run down Homestead & a then a short
road walk back to the picnic area.

If you bagged all the peaks & dropped down into Bald Rock camp area, It'll be around a 2-3day trip with 39kms walked from day use area.
You'll be walking on easy to follow wide old logging or fire trails all the way.
You can make your own shorter circuits too...using the 2 other trails cutting through the guts of this area.

Maps:- Girraween & Wallangara 25 000 series
If you need a copy of the above maps in digital form, drop me a line.

Sorry to hear about your compass......we all get attached to certain items.

ofuros
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 4:14 pm

An even better map (the one I have) is the HEMA Girraween, Bald Rock & Sundown map. I have it in digital form from a Hi Res scan and a decent print so I can take that instead of the original, I can send you a copy if you want :D Odd scale though, 1:37k... I've added the recommended bush camp sites (including their Grid Refs, I think theres six in total but you don't have to stay at them, they are just 'recommended') and a few other bits a pieces like POI's etc

ofuros wrote:You'll be walking on easy to follow wide old logging or fire trails all the way.
You can make your own shorter circuits too...using the 2 other trails cutting through the guts of this area.

I'm not a big fan of too many k's on fire trails, I get too bored and feel like I'm just mindlessly plodding along, much more interesting to find 'better' paths by going off the track (or sometimes/often? much worse ones :lol: ) Heaps of cool stuff off the track there anyway.

I'm pretty familiar with the park now having been there numerous times and done all the marked tracks thats why I'm doing something a bit different this time plus theres a few other places I havent been, a few caves, aztec temple, the south bald rock rainforest and the 'valley of the winds' etc. Can't not climb Mt Norman either...

Mt-Norman.jpg
Mount Norman
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby ofuros » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 5:23 pm

I know what you mean about plodding along......had planned camp at Twin peaks, Bald Rock & South Bald rock campgrounds,
but changed my mind as I went along,testing my fitness....the love handles have to go. :)
Climbing the peaks and finding other POI is what makes this circuit come alive, otherwise,
as you say, its just a walk in the bush.
Enjoy your next trip down there....watch out for red bellied blacks, there were quite a few around.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyinglion2000 » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:49 pm

Awesome guys and great photo of Mt Norman - is that the western side view from Mt Castle?

I recently did a day walk from the Bald Rock Crk campground up to Mt Castle, then up to Mt Norman down to the Mt Norman day use area and then from there along a fire trail down to the Aztec Temple and then to Underground Crk back to Dr Roberts Waterholes and then back to camp. On the way back met some people who had taken some inflatables from the waterholes down thr creek until they struck the road. They were walking back along the road in bare feet and I think a little the worse for it - but a great trip I would think.

phanTom I would love a copy the digital map you mentioned.

I am planning a trip to Sundown very soon.
flyinglion2000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 03 May, 2012 3:14 pm

The photo was taken from either Castle Mtn or Turtle Rock, I can't really remember?

flyinglion2000 wrote:phanTom I would love a copy the digital map you mentioned.

Okay but its about a 7.5mb file so you'll have to tell me your email address & I can send it to you While you're doing that I'll play around and try to make it a more manageable size too
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby tasmaniac » Fri 04 May, 2012 10:51 am

A few years ago I day walked to and clambered up South Bald Rock. Although I didn't have much time to explore it, but fell in love with the place and vowed to return one day, camping there and exploring further. I saw what looked like a campsite right next to the track with a creek nearby. I'd imagine the flow of the creek would be very much seasonal. Is the water ok to drink as is and are there any other campsites around the rock?
tasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby phan_TOM » Fri 04 May, 2012 11:56 am

I went for the first time only a few years ago and fell in love with the place too. I've talked to people who've driven past numerous times and they had no idea such amazing scenery is just 10k's down a side road... Its profoundly different throughout the year too, different things flowering (spectacularly at times), post fire greenery, snow, lushness, dryness etc.

I found out that this weekend is a Labour Day long weekend for QLD and postponed a trip there because the ranger said the park would be absolutely crawling with people including some school groups... Great that they are getting out and enjoying it but no thanks! :lol: Next weekend it is.

I know they recommend treating the water but I've filled up from the creeks before no problems. Saying that I'm taking aquatabs if I find any water that is questionable...

These might answer your questions about buch camping

bush-camping-1.jpg
bush-camping-1.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 16791 times

& some rules

bush-camping-2.jpg
bush-camping-2.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 16791 times

they also recommend taking a free standing tent that requires few pegs which is good advice!
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby tasmaniac » Tue 08 May, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks phan_TOM for the info. My map is has exactly the same title as the one those grid references refer to, except mine is 1:33000 and doesn't have those ref points on it. From memory, what looked like a campsite was right beside the track in front of the access point to the rock with a creek very close by. But this would seem to contradict the rule about not camping within 200m of a track. Is this the official campsite, does anyone know?
tasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 10 May, 2012 11:30 am

It does seem a contradiction but yeah,it is one of the preferred bush camp sites. I think the key words are 'constructed walking tracks' and the track to South Bald Rock is part of the unofficial track/fire trail system that you won't see on any of the handouts or on maps other than the topo's. I think theres only about 17k's of official track in the park but theres a lot more for anyone keen to go further. For example heres a link to the DERM park map which is very light on detail, I'd recommend the HEMA.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 17 May, 2012 10:34 am

ofuros wrote:For some reason I thought the creeks may be dry so I carried just under 5.5litres.....

After my trip out there on the weekend 5.5 litres doesn't seem too excessive. I ended up carrying about 3L most of the time and that seemed to be about right, I only ran out briefly once and that was because I planned on filling up after coming off Billy Goat Hill into Dingo Swamp but buzzing flies alerted me to some used toilet paper close to the stream (well, it was more like a soak) so I held off until the creek crossing, with the tree bridge, next to South Bald Rock. Really makes me wonder what goes through peoples minds sometimes, or should I say doesn't go through their minds. Not digging a hole is one thing but going near a creek :evil:

ofuros wrote:If you bagged all the peaks & dropped down into Bald Rock camp area, It'll be around a 2-3day trip with 39kms walked from day use area

I didn't go to the Bald Rock campsite but ended up doing close to 36k's, half following tracks and then finding my own way. It was spectacular weather and the cold snap arrived the day I left :D Couldn't have asked for more.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby ofuros » Thu 17 May, 2012 11:29 pm

I know what you mean phan_Tom.....so much for leaving nothing but footprints !
It's not that hard to did a hole away from a watersource. :roll:

Good to hear you had a great trip........
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Jacquie_C » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi phan_TOM (and all!)

Thanks for the helpful info on this walk. Planning to do it this easter weekend – having trouble laying my hands on a tope map though! Any chance you still have the digital file and would be happy to send it to me?

With thanks,

Jacquie
Jacquie_C
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland