Overnight Hike with recent rain

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby QldHike » Mon 26 Mar, 2012 7:55 pm

Now that the rain has stopped (at least for now) around Brisbane and the weather is getting a bit cooler I was thinking about a hike this weekend. Can anybody suggest somewhere near Brisbane that won't be too muddy after all the recent rain? I figured Lamington will likely be rained out. Sunshine Coast hinterland trail I figured will be similar although maybe not as bad. Also considering Mt Joyce recreation park as I've not been there yet and I thought it might not be too muddy. Preferably on track.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
QldHike
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Overnight Hike with recent rain

Postby nq111 » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:23 pm

If you have wet weather gear why rule out lamington? It is better for the rain - the mist adds atmosphere, colours are better and you will see crayfish on the tracks.

Bushwalkers all over Australia seek trips to Tassie to walk and expect and prepare for wet weather as part of the experience. The mud is part of the kudos. Funny how in our warmer climates people are so careful to avoid a bit of rain and mud. It can be the best time to go.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 8:12 pm

Amen, to that. Walking in the rain in QLD in particular in rain-forests is the best.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 1:08 pm

Love walking in the rain in QUeensland. The only thing I hate is having to spot every 5 minutes to flick 5 to 10 leaches climbing up my gaters. This really gets to be a drag after a few hours.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby SHD » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 8:04 pm

I was lucky enough to get away for a solo overnighter at Echo Point, Lamington NP on Monday night. The Albert River Circuit was all the better for the recent rains. Some of the creek crossings were a little more challenging but the waterfalls were amazing. Saw heaps of crays and enjoyed breakfast at Echo Point watching the sun rise. Cheers
SHD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland