Someone to take me up Logans

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Someone to take me up Logans

Postby Nolly Noolus » Sat 25 Feb, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone here climbed Logan's Ridge for the first time without a more experienced climber?

I am a long time Barney addict but new to the forum. Have climbed Barney about 10 times or so. Mainly south east, and peasants a few times, and once up through Barney gorge. I have been telling myself for years that I will climb Logans and this year is the year!

Just wanting some advice. Do you think that it is necessary to climb it with someone who has done it before? I have read many detailed descriptions, but realise that this is never as good as a guide.

If anyone does this climb annually (preferably in autumn or winter), or would be keen to guide me up then let me know. I plan to touch base with some clubs as well to see if they have any planned expeditions.

Finally, would you recommend Logan's over say Mezzanine for my next climb? Given that South east is as about as hard as i have done.

Cheers
Nolly Noolus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Someone to take me up Logans

Postby nq111 » Sun 26 Feb, 2012 7:54 pm

Logan's is easy for route-finding - other than that relatively small wrong paths can cost a fair bit of time - the actual way up is never really in doubt. When in doubt, stick as much on the ridgeline as possible.

If you are used to Barney it will be fine - yeah, a bit tougher the South East but not hard. If you really want the Barney experience find someone to take you up Eagles Ridge - route-finding is harder here if you haven't been on it before.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby farkewie » Mon 27 Feb, 2012 8:35 pm

nq111 wrote:Logan's is easy for route-finding - other than that relatively small wrong paths can cost a fair bit of time - the actual way up is never really in doubt. When in doubt, stick as much on the ridgeline as possible.

If you are used to Barney it will be fine - yeah, a bit tougher the South East but not hard. If you really want the Barney experience find someone to take you up Eagles Ridge - route-finding is harder here if you haven't been on it before.

^^This^^

The good thing about barney is, one you one the right ridge it pretty much funnels you into the right spot. A detour may give you more "Air" than expected though.. A nice loop is to go up logans and down rocky creek too.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kbm63 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 2:41 pm

Logan is easier than Mezzazine. On either route I would not do it by myself , both have their dangerous sections.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 4:05 pm

I am in the same boat. I have done the south east a few times and solo first time and want to do logans.
Maybe we can meet?
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby sef » Tue 13 Mar, 2012 4:10 pm

If you're not sure about Logan's, perhaps try North. It's more or less in the middle geographically, navigationally and difficulty-wise and a great day out.

As above, the hardest part of navigation on Logan's is getting to the base of the footpad. It's very quick (3-5 hours) and the exposure isn't all that bad. Near the top at "the notch" overlooking the east face, some people say to head right over to a gully draining right under the summit and then back to the usual ascent gullies -- objectively it's probably no safer (little scrubby leaf litter covered ledges) so go straight up if you can.

Mezzanine needs more care than the other ridges listed -- it isn't technically difficult at all, but consistently exposed. I'd do Logan's first.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland