NSW Border overnight walks

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

NSW Border overnight walks

Postby melot » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:35 am

I'm looking to walk for a few days just before Easter - thinking Boonoo Boonoo NP or Basket Swamp NP just over the border, near Giraween. I'd read an article in Wild Magazine years ago about a walk from Undercliffe Falls to Boonoo Boonoo Falls along the Boonoo Boonoo R. Does anyone have any experience in that area, particularly what the climb out at Boonoo Boonoo Falls is like? (Hubby & I are "Seniors" now & don't find scrambling steep slopes with packs easy) Alternatively does anyone have info re bushcamping in the Basket Swamp National Park & State Forest? We don't have a 4WD so may need to allow for extra walking if 4WD acces is required.Thanks.
melot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: NSW Border overnight walks

Postby cams » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 10:41 am

I've car camped at Boonoo Boonoo NP a couple of times. The first time was in the late 90's and we walked to the base of Boonoo Boonoo falls. I remember the track being fairly narrow in spots but it did zig zag its way down. My memories may be a bit sketchy though. The most recent trip was about a year and a half ago. This time we didn't go to the base. The track is actually closed off. Not sure why, maybe there has been land slides. We also spent a day walking up the river from the camp ground to the day use area. At times the river was hard/impossible to follow closely due to overgrown and/or steep banks so we ended up just walking on the road for some of it.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Queensland