Wilson's Peak

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilson's Peak

Postby kano » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 3:38 pm

Could someone please confirm if I can access Wilson's Peak from the Boonah border gate?Also I have read that Wilson's Peak can be approached from the North starting from where the main range through walk also commences. There is a small road bearing South that appears to lead directly to a farmhouse,is this a public road,Tony Groom(100 walks in S. Qld) offers this as an access route to Wilson's Peak. This guide was printed in 1980 and I imagine the scene may have changed since then.Any updates or advice would be greatly appreciated
kano
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Wilson's Peak

Postby isoma » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 8:28 am

Kano,
Yes you can climb Wilsons from the Boonah Border gate, pretty much the same place you'd park to climb Clunie. The northern ridge starts at Teviot Gap (this is where you leave the car on a Main Range trip). You can also climb Wilsons via a western ridge which starts where the border fence leaves the road.
Another feature to consider on a Wilsons trip is the Verandah and Kinnanes Falls which can be included on a circuit with a short car shuffle.
I should add that I haven't been up via the Eastern route, so if you're after some company let me know. I'm pretty keen to check out the access to Wilsons Ck from this direction. Its also possible to abseil Kinnanes Falls ( I believe 2 ropes are needed) but not sure of the quality of the anchor points.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Wilson's Peak

Postby DaveGwy » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't have any updated info, but I've been there from the Verandah. We parked just off the road, before the climb in this really fern-y area.
We walked up via the Verandah, then across the up to Wilson's. We came down the SE border fence, until the terrain flattened out, then cut across above Kinnanes Falls, and above the Verandah, then down to the cars. It was really nice walk - didn't require a car shuffle though.
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Queensland