2 to 3 day circuit walk near brisbane

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2 to 3 day circuit walk near brisbane

Postby straw » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi,

any good ideas for a 2 to 3 day overnight circuit walk within 4 hours of brissy? would be my first overnighter so nothing too full on. Thought about Conondale but am told may not be possible considering recent weather and vehicle access. Thanks! :D
straw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: 2 to 3 day circuit walk near brisbane

Postby kbm63 » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 4:58 pm

You can make a good circuit at Girraween but it would be hot at this time of year. First day out to Mt Norman or Middle Bald rock . There are normally fire trails that you can follow. If you can get your hand on one of the local guide books I sure you will find the details. Wild magazine last issue publish The Sunshine Coast Great walk , while not a circuit you could possibly organize taxi to transport you back to your car. Other possibilities are the Island walks , Fraser or Morton.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:20 am

A good 2 - 3 day introduction walk could be constructed from the graded tracks up at Lamington. I think bush camping is open again now that it is Feb? Or it might be all summer that it is closed. Echo Point has a camp site and there are a few others along the border track. Even if the bush sites are still closed you could just do O'rieleys to Binna Burra and back again. Track is easy but the distance is reasonably long (21km each way). Just try and resist having dinner in the resturaunt. :)
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby straw » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:44 pm

Thankyou for your replies. I just tried to do the Gold Coast great walk instead of a circuit (arranged for my partner to drop off and pick up) but I really struggled. Tried carrying all the gear, sleeping, eating,first aid, clothing etc but pack too heavy. Have people done this just paying up for O'Reilly's and Binna Burra accomm/food or do people generally carry all the gear? And if you carry all the gear, how do you do it because it just killed me! I had to call to picked up in Numinbah on second day because couldn't go on.
straw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cams » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:38 am

How heavy was your pack? Did you weigh it? I'm sure people do that particular walk using the accomodation at Binna Burra but most probably carry everything. Maybe a single nighter would have been a better first walk. As I said in the other thread the second day of that GC hinterland walk can be pretty tough. Especially in this sort of heat. I think my pack averaged about 16 - 18kg for that walk.

I'm doing an overnight with a few friends, one of which hasn't done any overnight walking, in a couple of weeks time. We're just sticking to the normal track system around O'rieleys like I suggested above. Probably do the Albert River track, camp at Bethongabel and come back via one of the other creek tracks. The good thing there, is that if anyone dosn't feel up to a big second day it is only 5k's back along the border track.
cams

Postby Quoll » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 2:30 pm

For a first overnighter I'd have recommended Lamington... either to use it as a base and head in a different direction each day or drop the car at O'Reilly's, camp the night there at the NP ground, walk the Border Track to Binna Burra, overnight there until a return walk back to O'Reilly's. Relatively easy walk - slightly tougher returning - but I carry the basics to sleep and eat. Its also hard to find the right balance between the super-lightweight (and super expensive) gear and the total weight of what you're going to have on your back for a few days. I haven't stayed at either hotel - bit pricey especially if you're eating there.

I enjoy having a car-base... Places like Lamington and Girraween are a good option as a base to head out each day and being able to return to the car and tent and cut down on what you need to carry.
Quoll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DaveGwy » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey straw,
Sorry to hear your walk wasn't quite as you planned, but trust me, that happens! Sometimes things just don't work!
Don't look at your walk as being a failure, there's heaps you'd be able to take from it.

Think about your gear - was there anything that was particularly heavy? For e.g. there's a huge difference in weight between a bushwalking tent and a normal camping tent (and volume too!). Something I like to do is look back and say, "well, what did I actually use?". Too often I will pack for a walk and just chuck in lots of things, (for e.g. several torches ??) and say well I might need 3, just incase 2 fail. It's stupid, but sometimes we do things like that.

Also look at your food - Did you take dehydrated stuff? Try Backcountry Foods - they're freeze-dried meals (very delicious) and they weigh very little. I also often take far too much food - e.g. a whole packet of muesli bars.

As cams said, the GC hinterland walk has some tough stages. I think bush camping is allowed now (from 31 Jan), so his other recommendation, the Albert River circuit, and camping at Echo point would be a nice walk - maybe about 21-22km, split over two days. Out along the border track, and back down past the waterfalls. That way, you could just take it at a lesiurely pace. There will also be plenty of water on the 2nd day, so you won't need to take as much.
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby straw » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank you all for your tips/suggestions. ON that GC great walk completely had the wrong pack and clothing which was made worse by it raining all day. Chafing and rubbing from pack drawing blood in multiple places plus leeches were nuts! But have done a few walks - Girraween and Mt Barney - since then and getting more confident and capable. Loving the resource of this site so thanks again to all those sharing your experience!
straw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DaveGwy » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 8:30 am

Glad to be of help straw. Yeah, you're right, clothing makes a big difference too. A good rain jacket can really improve a rainy day! And clothes that dry quickly when they do get wet (which is inevitable!)
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland