Hikers rescued from Hinchinbrook island

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hikers rescued from Hinchinbrook island

Postby flatfoot » Sun 26 Dec, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm not familiar with Hinchinbrook Island. Does anyone know more about the circumstances?

http://www.news.com.au/national/hikers-rescued-from-queensland-island/story-e6frfkwr-1225976339442
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hikers rescued from Hinchinbrook island

Postby Lizzy » Mon 27 Dec, 2010 6:00 am

sounds like not the best walk to undertake in cyclone season...
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby scockburn » Mon 27 Dec, 2010 6:40 am

Looks as though the guys were young international back packers who did not do their checks and went out (bullet proof)and literally got out of their depth due to the weather . Raining very heavily due to cyclone and on Hinchinbrook there are some spots that you won't get past if the rain is like it is at present....full on . Does not look like they were in any real major danger just stranded and they would have been stranded for ages due to conditions. Lucky someone knew they were out on the track. It does puzzle me a little as if they had told anyone that they were going on the track , they would have been told not to go.. Can't work it out. Also you have to catch a ferry out to the Island and the skipper would have not recommended going out?? Maybe that's how they knew the lads were missing. The walk involves some creek crossings and with all the rain , they would have got stuck at one of the larger creeks and it would have been easy to locate them as you would not have got too far.
If you ever get the opportunity this walk is a must and ever so different to Tassie. Be prepared for the white tailed rats though. Think of giant ,fearless, hungry rats . Need to put food in food safes or hang food bags .
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby daisyhilldude » Tue 28 Dec, 2010 8:41 pm

i did that walk at easter this year. there was unseasonal torrential rain, which made the walk pretty difficult, crossing diamantina creek above mulligans falls was one of the scariest things i have ever done, i would imagine that the walk would be quite pleasant in fine weather
daisyhilldude
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby daisyhilldude » Wed 29 Dec, 2010 3:37 pm

scockburn wrote:If you ever get the opportunity this walk is a must and ever so different to Tassie. Be prepared for the white tailed rats though. Think of giant ,fearless, hungry rats . Need to put food in food safes or hang food bags .

when I did it no rats were evident - i think the continual torrential rain made them stay in their rat holes, I heard heaps of crocs at night though
daisyhilldude
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 5:03 pm

scockburn wrote: Be prepared for the white tailed rats though. Think of giant ,fearless, hungry rats . Need to put food in food safes or hang food bags .

In other words, think OT possums with white tails.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Queensland