Stretcher Track / Running Creek Falls

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Stretcher Track / Running Creek Falls

Postby isoma » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 4:55 pm

Due to interest in these routes in another topic I have started a new thread.

Firstly, for good details on walks not only in Lamington, but in SE Qld in general, you will find no better resource than the Bushpeoples Guide. I dont know if its still printed anymore, but I have spotted the odd copy floating about in Brisbane in recent years.

Secondly, both routes above are off track. The Stretcher Track, in particular, is tenuous at best and should only be tackled by those suitably experienced. As a comparison, the Stinson Route, which is itself quite a rugged footpad/track, is very easy to follow. The route from Echo Point to Point Lookout/Stinson Wreck would be comparable to the easier to follow sections of the Stretcher. The Stretcher is not on the escarpment so lacks the reference points that are available on the other route.

As for access - for the Stretcher the starting point is in the Christmas Creek valley. Park at the recreation/camp ground and then follow the dirt road immediately south which heads up to the obvious broad saddle. Once in the saddle just start heading eastish and you'll be on the track. From memory, it was pretty easy to follow for a km or so.

Running Creek Falls could also be accessed from this saddle by heading south to drop into the Running Creek valley. Most people, however, would usually drive all the way around to the end of Running Creek Rd.
Running Creek Falls are pretty awesome at about 100m high and can be reached by following a tagged track to the North Branch of Running Ck. This track is much easier to follow than the Stretcher and might be a good idea to try first.

Both areas are covered by the 1:25 000 Lamington map (not Lamington National Park map).

More details are available if interested, but unfortunately I dont have any photos to share. Anyone else? I dont usually carry a camera on my walks, but I dont think i could have done Running Ck Falls justice anyway.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Stretcher Track / Running Creek Falls

Postby tomh » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:11 pm

Although there is a track of sorts to Running Creek falls from the end of Chingee Creek road there are many places where the correct route is not obvious. Bushwalking and navigation experience is required and the Forum Rule re access applies. Knowing where to enter and leave the creek is vital. The first few km cross private property and permission should be obtained. Refer to http://www.rimfall.com.au, rent a cottage from the Drynans (where Chingee Creek road ends) and you will get all the information you want. The other route to the falls that avoids private property drops down from the stretcher track to where England creek meets Running Creek. Definitely not to be attempted without extensive experience.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Phil Box » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 5:27 pm

tomh wrote: The other route to the falls that avoids private property drops down from the stretcher track to where England creek meets Running Creek. Definitely not to be attempted without extensive experience.

I would definitely NOT recommend this option as for all intents and purposes, that track no longer exists even though it is marked on some maps and books. During the search for the fellow who died in Running Creek last year we could not find any evidence of that track even though we had a very experienced team allotted to head up that track and then search the ridge back to S&R base camp. We went from the junction of England Creek and Running Creek and tried to follow where that track should have been. Others in our party had walked that track many years ago.

Walk in from Drynans is the by far the best option. They are very aproachable people, give them the respect and courtesy they deserve and you'll be golden.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DanH » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:20 am

Here is a shot of the Running Creek falls back in 04... interestingly this was a very low rainfall year and screams of 'drought!' were heard coming from all the surrounding farms. Plenty of water in the headwaters though the creek slowed to a series of pools once outside the National Park. We came in from Christmas Ck side - pretty easy if you can read a map alright... compact but atmospheric camp area and a great rockhop downstream...

another interesting shot for the lightweighters amongst us... at about this time I got serious about weight and this shot is of the first 'tarp bivvies' made by BPL that we brought over. This is twilight at the little camp area beside RunningCk/New England ck junction. They are great pieces of gear and we have used them in all sorts of places including above the treeline in the European Alps and Norway. Very light at about a 1/4 of a kilo...

experience comes after stuffing up - stuffing up comes after having a go - having a go comes after I get off the computer!
DanH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby isoma » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for the photos DanH. I went through probably a year or 2 later and the falls had much more volume - certainly couldnt have sat on the rocks where you did. In fact, the spray from the falls could be felt all the way back at the camp site.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Widgee » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 8:59 pm

Glad I found this forum. Has got me motivated to get back into bushwalking. Visited Running Creek Falls many years ago when I was a young man. One of the best places I have walked to. Still remember the cold water from those falls. Great photos. Thanks for posting them.
Widgee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanH » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 12:23 pm

isoma wrote:Thanks for the photos DanH. I went through probably a year or 2 later and the falls had much more volume - certainly couldnt have sat on the rocks where you did. In fact, the spray from the falls could be felt all the way back at the camp site.

thats amazing! I take it you camped at the creek junction?
experience comes after stuffing up - stuffing up comes after having a go - having a go comes after I get off the computer!
DanH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby isoma » Thu 21 Apr, 2011 3:03 pm

An attempted Black Snake Ridge - Tweed Trig - Point Lookout walk over the weekend saw a group of 4 of us in this area again.
Starting from Christmas Ck and passing over the start of the Stretcher track to Running Ck made this an ambitious walk in 3 days. Ultimately we were thwarted by bad weather and almost impenetrable walls of wait-a-while and barb wire vine around Mt Nungulba travelling east to Tweed Trig. Distances covered around here were well under 500m an hour.
A couple of things to note - Firstly, if looking for a route down to Running Ck from the saddle where the Stretcher track begins the only option in my view is to locate the ridge starting at about 030682 - if you don't cross an old fence within 100-200m then turn around and go back. If coming up this ridge from Running Ck it starts at about 025673. All other ridges are disgusting with thick bands of vines starting about half way down and then becoming choked with lantana a long way from the valley floor (I've discovered this the hard way over a number of trips).
Secondly, with the weather extremes in recent times in Qld it is probably no surprise to hear that there is a lot of tree fall. This makes following any sort of foot pad near impossible when in the rainforest. This would make "tracks" like the Stretcher even more difficult and unpleasant.
On a positive note - Black Snake Ridge is great fun and there would be great camp sites with water close by in the saddle region. If/when we attempt this route again I'll be voting for an overnighter here andd giving ourselves at least one extra day for the circuit.
If anyone out there has been between Nungulba and Tweed Trig I'd be keen to hear of your experiences, in particular, camp sites and water collection.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scockburn » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:12 pm

Just returned from completing Stretcher Track . Started at Christmas Creek , up to Westrays Grave and then tracked the unnamed Creek ( not the usual ridge )to the top watering spot for the Stinson Wreck bush camp . Quite a challenge. Passed a group coming back down claiming it was too difficult a route but we pressed on . It was steep and very steep in parts with several decent waterfalls to track up and around but we made it up before dark. This was quite difficult but would be Ok in dry . Camped at Point Lookout in the midst of a developing storm but it tracked west past us. At 1200 m on the edge of an escarpment it is not too great place to be in lightning but luckily it was not a head on storm. Next am headed off early to do Stretcher Track out. I recon there would have been 50 large tree falls that were a major challenge to navigate around. Yep the wait a while"" was viscous all the way . I got cut up badly despite gloves and my shirt was shredded by days end. We started the walk by 7.30 am and got out and back to cars at 7pm to do the 14km( I think) slog out.
I don't think this track is wise to do without someone quite experienced here and with good route finding.We had 3 very experienced guys up front trying to locate the route but even then it was a challenge. If you get off route , it is possible to take up to 30 minutes to find way to foot pad. If you get too waylaid , it is very possible to find yourself running out of time an then having to do the last several kms in the dark and then the steep descent out so if you go leave enough time to battle the tree falls and wait-awhile . Do not underestimate this as all the wet weather has had a big impact . . A bit risky . happy walking.
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ticklebelly » Sat 21 May, 2011 12:17 pm

scockburn wrote:J................... up to Westrays Grave and then tracked the unnamed Creek ( not the usual ridge )to the top watering spot for the Stinson Wreck bush camp . Quite a challenge.

I bet it was. A group of us did a walk to the Stinson crash site in late Jan. Started at the end of Christmas Creek road and turned up hill just short of Westray's grave. Very steep! and wet and sliding all over the place. How steep? got my heart rate monitor up to 154 which is not bad for an old bloke. A bit worried about doing damage but we did make and effort to minimise. Followed the ridge at the top then turned left and down to the crash site. From the crash site we followed our noses down hill intending to retrace Westray's probable route and find the waterfall where he got injured. Very steep! again and pushing through wait-a-while and similiar got us to the creek. Turned left and down the creek. This is the part where you guys would have been coming up the creek line. Fine effort by you guys to get up there. Our party abseiled down 6 drop-offs to about 20 metres. Wet and slippery, we took our time but everyone got very dirty. Finally got to the confluence of the creeks and continued down to Westray's grave. All pretty buggared by then so stropped for a brew and rest before the final walk out. We walked in at 06:30 and walked out just on 19:30 with torches. No injuries, one leech, and a mob of very tired walkers at the end. Good walk though. Might try a through walk from O'Riellys in the future and make sure we get to the falls on the way.

Ticklebelly.
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tas-man » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 1:17 am

I can add a few photos from a walk to running Creek Falls in November 1969 (according to the date on the slides). A lot more water than the previous photos,so we didn't get as close to the base of the falls.

RunningCreekFalls 1.jpg
Top of falls.

RunningCreekFalls2.jpg
Bottom of falls.

RunningCreekFalls3.jpg
Me having lunch at Running Creek Falls.
Last edited by tas-man on Tue 28 Jun, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby scockburn » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 7:53 am

Last weekend a small group of experienced walkers tried to get up Running Creek to the falls and another tried to get up to Larapinta Falls on Christmas Creek. Both turned back due to impassibility , scunge and very slippery rocks . Looks as though the wet conditions have made this area a little dangerous. FYI. Steve C
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 11:55 am

I did the stretcher track a few years ago.
It was a long hard day and I was not fit enough even with my light gear.
We lost the track many times but found it without too much problems.
Not a track I would repeat although Running creek falls would be on my list.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 1:03 pm

Worth seeking out..... 8)

The Falls pool has been 2 or 3m higher at times judging by the washed up & dried debris.
Imagine the thunder & spray when in full flood ! :shock:
Refreshing to swim in though... :D

Black Snake Ridge should be easier now for those who like to explore beyond...there's been a recent bushfire
(still smouldering in places) from Running Ck, up the flanks & onto the ridgeline.

England Creek camp to Stretcher Track is still tagged...steep, loose & sweaty going up, much more enjoyable
coming back down. :wink:

As usual bigger & better pics here.... https://ofuros.exposure.co/running-creek-falls
Other related posts.... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14202&p=187511&hilit=stretcher+track#p187511

034 (Medium).JPG

044 (Medium).JPG

PA180072 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dis » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 2:07 pm

Ofuros, the photos look amazing... Running Creek Falls is still very high on my list. Last time I attempted we went via the Stretcher Track but unfortunately ran out of time (only packed for a single day).

If you ever repeat this hike, please let me know as I would be eager to tag along.

Thanks,
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 6:53 pm

No worries Dis,
I like to at least overnight in these special places....see them in the fading light & in the coming dawn.
No point in putting in all that effort to get there & not enjoying your surrounds. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Uncle Rumple » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 7:49 am

Hello all

Has anyone got a gpx file of the Stretcher Track that they would like to share?
Uncle Rumple
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland