Kgari Great Walk - short version options?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kgari Great Walk - short version options?

Postby Promethean » Mon 04 Sep, 2023 11:36 am

Hi - myself and a mate were keen to head over to Kgari and walk part of the Great Walk. Unfortunately we only have around 3 days, so couldnt do the whole track. Can anyone recommend a short version that would work in terms of route and barge pickup/dropoff?

Thanks!
Joel
Promethean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kgari Great Walk - short version options?

Postby Scrambler » Mon 04 Sep, 2023 1:14 pm

I'll watch this with interest.

I have previously looked over the maps: doing all the Qld Great Walks is a goal for my son and I.

Barge access is difficult no matter where you begin or end. You will need to consider bus access. This should open your options further.

If you MUST walk in, consider the Kingfisher barge and the loop around Central Station.

But this is very much paper knowledge, hopefully someone can give us both the real story.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Kgari Great Walk - short version options?

Postby Equivocator » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 3:25 pm

3 days no 4wd?

Day 1 Barge to Kingfisher first thing in the morning. Walk to Boorangoora (Lake McKenzie) camp. ~14km
Day 2 Do the loop past Central Station & Pine Valley (to arrive back at McKenzie.) ~18km
Day 3 Back to Kingfisher (5pm latest Barge... but you should be done by Smoko. Lunch if you have a morning swim first.) ~14km
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland