Desktop version
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Moreton Island restricted area.

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 4:38 pm

To those who are interested and familiar hiking on Moreton Island, there are few changes on the way. An aboriginal corporation won recently (as last November) grant of native title in the high court if I'm correct, of the whole island (minus the resort). As a result, this corporation took charge of the booking system for camping and access fees from National Parks (with the obvious increase of all fees) and the closure of a portion of the "little sandhills". This is probably not the most popular area for hiking around Brisbane, but in my opinion the traverse of the little sandhills, from the southwest beach to the western side, is one the most spectacular hike in SEQ, with unrivalled colorful views over Moreton Bay and Brisbane skyline. I have been hiking on the island for decades now and I won't post photos of this beauty so to respect the article 26 if I'm correct and surely various laws, but I post the link with details of restricted area and closure reasons.
https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/more ... ls-raa.pdf
I came across a sign like this planted on the top of a sandhill in the middle of nowhere.
So, if you are planning a traverse or a more popular hike south to north through big sandhills and you wish to respect the closure, keep in mind the red area on the map. There are no other warnings along the various entry point.
Post a reply