Current water situation on Barney

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Current water situation on Barney

Postby CBee » Thu 03 Oct, 2019 3:30 pm

I was wondering is anyone has been recently up at rum jungle and noticed if the creek is running or I should take up extra water for an overnighter.
Thanks.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Current water situation on Barney

Postby gbagua » Wed 09 Oct, 2019 10:57 pm

Dry as a dust bowl. Not sure about the rum jungle but personally I would take as much as can.
gbagua

Postby Lyrebird » Thu 10 Oct, 2019 7:56 pm

Agreed. I was mooching around on the SER today (though I didn't get as far as RJ) and the whole place is scarily, tinder dry. The Logan River crossing at the start of that track is absolutely empty; no water at all. There was a single puddle at the entrance to the carpark but that was it. Even six months ago it was an ankle deep wade but that's all petered out. :cry:
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby coimon » Thu 10 Oct, 2019 8:40 pm

Might change, at least temporarily, after the rain forecast for this weekend. But then again, smallish falls will run away and soak in too quickly to leave water lying around I suppose.

I was going to go for a wander in the Green Mountains section given the closures and dryness around, but might postpone to a drier weekend. Queensland ups and downs :?
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lyrebird » Thu 10 Oct, 2019 9:13 pm

I was up there last week and it was nice; glad I made the trip. It rained a little bit but the tree cover kept enough of it off that I didn't need the raincoat.
Queensland ups and downs

For sure. The West Canungra Creek Cct is open for a change so you could always do that before the next cyclone closes it for another 5 years... :roll:
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dalehikes » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 8:19 am

The falls on West Canungra/Toolona are still flowing however they are getting less. The rainforest feels dry and tired, it needs a water boost!
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby coimon » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 8:14 pm

dalehikes wrote:The falls on West Canungra/Toolona are still flowing however they are getting less. The rainforest feels dry and tired, it needs a water boost!

Not wanting to take the thread further down this tangent, but I went and did West Canungra last weekend after the rain on Saturday, dalehikes. Still flowing as you say, and the bit of rain had freshened things up a little in the forest. Lovely track, might go back and do Stairway Falls this weekend. :D
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dalehikes » Thu 17 Oct, 2019 7:15 am

coimon wrote:Still flowing as you say, and the bit of rain had freshened things up a little in the forest. Lovely track, might go back and do Stairway Falls this weekend. :D

Ah thats good to hear, Lamington has had some decent rain in the last week.
Theres a good chance ill be around Stairway Falls and beyond on Sunday, I might see you about!
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland