The Dreaming Trails - anyone heard of it?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Dreaming Trails - anyone heard of it?

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 8:31 am

I noticed around the traps that a new huge multi day hike is planned for Cape York - it is called the Dreaming Trails

It will be around 2000km long ( which is a fair way I reckon)

There is a website where the planners are requesting feedback from experienced bushwalkers about what sort of facilites etc should be set up for the "track"

Recommend anyone who is interested to check out the website here
and take the time to complete the survey.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: The Dreaming Trails - anyone heard of it?

Postby tasadam » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 11:02 am

Yeah Frank, I've heard of it. I read about it on a blog recently. :wink:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 11:15 am

tasadam wrote:Yeah Frank, I've heard of it. I read about it on a blog recently. :wink:

Yep, it was featured on Best Hike - a Canadian based site (smarty!)

That guy is prolific in the info he shares!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 3:05 pm

I completed the survey on the link provided. Found it to be quite biased towards a preference for a guided style of walk. Didn't sound like they were aiming to develop it as a walk to do self sufficiently. Anyway, i'd be very interested to hear what the Aboriginal community thinks of it.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 3:23 pm

I do some odd work for Balkanu Cape York Development Corporation, and I suspect an awful lot of this walk is through aboriginal land.
One hopes that the aboriginal people would be involved in the proposal - although they had their knees chopped off in the the Wild Rivers saga.
But if they are, it may be that there could be jobs as guides - which would be a big thing. Their biggest challenge is employment to get them off the welfare that is killing them.

I seriously doubt that many would be able to walk this without significant support. Maybe some of the southern sections could be self contained, but that is really, really remote and potentially dangerous country.
Access along the way would be a major issue - as roads are few and far between. Maybe some kind of boat support would be possible given it runs along the coast.

Edit: had a chat with my contacts and it appears this was originally an idea devised by the aboriginals as a self help project, but in the fallout over wild rivers the Qld government has taken it out of their hands and given it to Parks. The Qld government sees the greens as a power base to be appeased, but the local aboriginals do not really rate on their radar.
Cost may be in the $100M range and if it does come to pass, would be done in stages over a considerable time.

I suspect that some of the southern parts could be self sustaining, but I cannot see the viability of most of it. To survive it will probably need a lot of regular Gov funding.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Nihilist » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 9:06 am

For anyone interested:

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

THE State Government is pushing ahead with plans for a 2000km walking trail from the Daintree to the tip of Cape York.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/1 ... -news.html
Nihilist
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 9:23 am

Good find.
Mind you, this is what I was thinking too -
Bushwalking Queensland president John Marshall believed there would be a slim seasonal timeframe for people wanting to complete the whole trail.

"I think very few people will do it end to end, because of the weather. You’ve got a very limited window to do it,’’ Mr Marshall said.

"You couldn’t possibly do it in the monsoon season. The rest of the year, it could be quite hot – especially for some people from the southern states."

Walking 2000 km in the cyclone season, now, where did I put my 6 season tent? :shock:
We've got our 4 season gear which we know, then the 5 season which refers to extreme winter / alpine / arctic conditions. Well meet the 6th season. Monsoon! Criteria, must be able to float, must be able to withstand winds of ~250 km/hr, and must be resilient to flying palm trees and coconuts... Not to mention air-conditioned and mozzie proof.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Phil Box » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:56 pm

tasadam wrote:Good find.
Mind you, this is what I was thinking too -
Bushwalking Queensland president John Marshall believed there would be a slim seasonal timeframe for people wanting to complete the whole trail.

"I think very few people will do it end to end, because of the weather. You’ve got a very limited window to do it,’’ Mr Marshall said.

"You couldn’t possibly do it in the monsoon season. The rest of the year, it could be quite hot – especially for some people from the southern states."

Walking 2000 km in the cyclone season, now, where did I put my 6 season tent? :shock:
We've got our 4 season gear which we know, then the 5 season which refers to extreme winter / alpine / arctic conditions. Well meet the 6th season. Monsoon! Criteria, must be able to float, must be able to withstand winds of ~250 km/hr, and must be resilient to flying palm trees and coconuts... Not to mention air-conditioned and mozzie proof.

Where do I pick one of these up? BCF? :lol:

I'd agree with John Marshall's assessment. This proposal should also have been left in the hands of the Cape Aboriginals. Sure the government could act as agents but principally the Aboriginals should have ownership over this idea/proposal. The walk should also meander around to take in local aboriginal infrastructure. This would see those who have the funds then spend those funds in local Aboriginal communities.

Minor modification in line with forum rules.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby tastrax » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 9:16 pm

http://www.dreamingtrails.com seems to have disappeared....
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Queensland