Mt Bangalore

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Bangalore

Postby gbagua » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 6:05 am

Hello,

The following are some map sketches of my planned hiking to Bangalore + Reynolds Ck.

General walk found in wikiloc (red line). Considerable bush-bash.

A variation would be hiking up Mt Bell and down to he saddle (green line).

Straight up Bangalore (Eastern side), down the Bell saddle and then drop into Reynolds ck. (yellow line)

My plan (white line). Walk towards the Western side and hike up the gorge and then reach the summit. Down to Bell saddle and drop into R. ck.

I am not a big fun of scrub bashing (no one is really), so my question is:

Which one would you choose to minimise scrub and make it a leaner hike?

Thanks in advance.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Bangalore

Postby ofuros » Sat 02 Mar, 2019 4:08 am

It's off track...there's always gonna be a scratchy, sweaty, cursing, bushbash. :wink:

Spurs leading to Bell Mt ridgeline, all have very steep, raise your arm from your side & lean against the ground sections. Steeeep.

Some of Bangalore's NNE ridges have open walking, but with lots of toe stubbing, ankle twisting small rocks amongst the leaf litter, grass & trees.

The upper catchment of Reynolds Ck is short & very steep, with a downpour it'll rise rapidly & race through the gorge so don't get caught out.

From memory you need a rope to downclimb one of the pools in the gorge or I could be mixing it up with another gorge.

I like the look of the sweeping curve of the NE ridgeline, along the face of Bangalore...but that's just me.
Which ever way you choose, have fun exploring & stay safe.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks ofuros. :) It'll be a toss between the green and yellow options; I really like the white line but it could turn into an epic hike because that gorge could be very technical, hence you need a very long day for it with a late finish too. Next time.

I'll play it by the ear, anyway.

Will report once the trip is done

Cheers!
gbagua

Postby ofuros » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 2:37 pm

Your Green route option, vertical on the left of pic. :shock:

DSCF4892 (1) (Medium).JPG
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 03 Mar, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Sun 03 Mar, 2019 2:58 pm

It looks good! A lot cleaner than following the bush-bash at the bottom leading up to the saddle.

But the traverse (red line) is certainly going to be the highlight of the entire trip. If the ground is too loose and slippery due to the recent rains we won't risk it and will carry on until we reach the top of Mt Bell. I also read in a related thread, Mt Bell ridge... that the downclimb to the saddle is also an 'adventure'. Can't wait!

Bangalore itself looks like scrub heaven. Yuck! :)

Thanks for the pic. :)
gbagua

Return to Queensland