Bartle Frere Ww2 wreck Seeking info

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bartle Frere Ww2 wreck Seeking info

Postby Lions land1 » Tue 04 Jul, 2017 10:35 pm

G day seeking the location of the mt Bartle Frere Mitchell bomber wreck ... heading up that way this would any have a gps for its location .. has any one been to it cheers contact me via PM if your not wanting to post the information out of respect to those on board
Lions land1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: South west rogaining
Region: Queensland

Re: Bartle Frere Ww2 wreck Seeking info

Postby JimmyJK96 » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 2:04 pm

Hey mate, did you have any luck finding it?
JimmyJK96
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Bartle Frere Ww2 wreck Seeking info

Postby gonetroppo » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 9:45 am

I've tried to find out what I can about it over the years as well in an attempt to climb up to the wreck. There is an information board at Babinda Boulders that explains the recovery party left from there and travelled up a nearby valley, and the other snippets of information online seems to suggest it is located more toward that north peak area, rather then near the summit tracks on the south side... other then that very general info I've not been able to find anything else.
I can't recall fully, but I think it was an ABC conversations with a local who was in the recovery party, very interesting story worth hearing if you can find it.
gonetroppo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Return to Queensland