Mt Barney - Savages Ridge

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Barney - Savages Ridge

Postby desiguel » Tue 16 May, 2017 10:26 pm

Am thinking of doing an overnight hike up savages, back down south. Has anyone done savages with a overnight pack... doable?

For reference I've done SE a few times and Logans once. I wouldn't do Logans with an overnight pack but I would do SE.

Also.. are there any places to put a bivvy on West Peak? I'd like to wake up to the sunrise but don't want to go down to the saddle then back up again.

d.
desiguel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Barney - Savages Ridge

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 17 May, 2017 11:10 am

I have not done this route, however my understanding is that it has a difficult chimney that needs to be climbed just below west peak, which I imagine would be tricky with an overnight pack. You may be able to avoid the cliffs by contouring around below them northwards in the direction of Barrabool peak. The northern aspect of west peak is much less precipitous than the others.

From the looks of things there are a few remote campsites in that western area, see https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/mount ... mping.html. Of course with a bivvy you would have more options for setting up camp. From memory it's quite cramped up on top of west peak, it's not wide and open like east peak - but you may be able to find a suitable spot.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm

DSCN9089.jpgcopy_1024.jpg
The summit of the West Peak, Mt.Barney

Better suited to hammocks.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Don R » Sun 20 May, 2018 9:12 pm

It has been several years since I have gone up Savage's Ridge to West Peak.You can go up Savages to the back of West Peak. There is chimney below the summit on the western side. If there has been recent rain that can be difficult to ascend, so a belay rope comes in useful. Savages has a bit of scunge on it. you can camp near the top - which is more than what can said for West Peak. There is very limited room on West Peak.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland