Multi-day walk suggestions SE QLD

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Multi-day walk suggestions SE QLD

Postby stephen_h » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi All,

Seeking some recommendations for a multi day walk, up to six nights in South East Queensland, mid October.

My friend and I and are both fairly experienced having hiked on & off track up to 10 days at time in Tassie, Victoria and NZ (as well as overseas, aside from NZ).

Neither of us are that familiar with QLD however.

Have been looking at Lamington national park and am wondering if someone could suggest a route that could incorporate some remote off track options that will provide solitude from masses? A loop would be preferable, or even a couple smaller walks would be great.

Also curious about the Border Ranges.

Have had look previous posts, seems to be a lot of shorter walks (including off track options)as opposed 6-7 day walks.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by stephen_h on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephen_h
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Multidisciplinary walk suggestions SE QLD

Postby stephen_h » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 3:09 pm

My apologies re requesting off track info. I do note the forum rules advising against publishing this information.
stephen_h
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ofuros » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 5:01 pm

To get the ball rolling...
Mainrange Traverse (Spicers Peak to Teviot Gap), which can be extended.
http://www.southee.com/Bushwalking/MainRange.html

McPherson Range Traverse...if you like a longer challenge. :wink: :shock:

With so many shorter walks, side trips & circuits, caves, waterfalls & peaks to explore
you'll have to find yourself a copy of the 'Bushpeoples guide to bushwalking in s.e. qld' (2nd edition),
'Secrets of the scenic rim' or Take a walk in S.E. qld' to slake your thirst for knowledge.

Other Qld'ers will chime in soon with there recommendations...hang in there.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bumper » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:52 pm

+1 Main range traverse, with a side trip to the Steamers.
bumper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi Stephen,

You will not find it easy to construct a circuit walk of that length without lots of back-tracking. Most of the longer walking options in SE QLD are through walks, which will mean a long car shuffle (potentially a very long one, depending on how far you want to walk!). Most of the major features in the area can be visited on day trips, but it is possible to create some interesting through walks combining multiple regions.

As already mentioned, the main range traverse would be suitable for a small experienced party to cover in 3-4 days, depending where you start/end. As an alternative, you could easily spend 6-7 days linking the graded track systems at Springbrook/Lamington with the more remote southern regions, where you will be unlikely to encounter anybody else. You could try something like:

Days 1-2 - Springbrook to Binna Burra (via Great Walk track)
Day 3 - Day walk from Binna Burra (e.g. Ships Stern Circuit +/- Dave's Creek Circuit)
Day 4 - Binna Burra to Mount Bithongabel remote campsite (via Coomera Creek Circuit +/- Mount Wagawn region)
Day 5 - Day walk from Mount Bithongabel remote campsite (e.g. Box Forest Circuit + Toolona Creek Circuit - most scenic section of this park I reckon)
Day 6 - Walk to Rat-a-tat hut remote campsite via Albert River Circuit waterfalls
Day 7 - Walk out at Christmas Creek via the Stinson wreck site

Days 1-5 would be on graded track network, and the final two days mostly off-track. There's nothing particularly special about the Mt Bithongabel site, but it is convenient enough if you want to avoid people at O'Reilly's. Only one group is allowed to camp at a remote site per night, so once you book it is all yours! Many other alternative routes could be easily be devised, depending on what it is you want to see and how far you walk each day.

One thing to bear in mind is that the rainforested regions in SEQ (particularly Lamington) are quite different in character to bush in the southern states. The off-track routes will require good navigation skills and compass work, as you will be unlikely to be able to see much in the way of landmarks. Trails can be faint and storm damage - particularly when combined with wait-a-while vines, stinging plants and leeches - will slow your pace considerably!

Yet another alternative would be Mount Barney NP. You could start at Mt Maroon, cross to Mt May via Paddy's Plains and then on to the Upper Portals to reach the Ballow/Barney massifs. You could easily spend 6 nights exploring any number of peaks in this park. You will be unlikely to see anybody except at a few spots. The scenery is spectacular, but the terrain is rugged and arduous for parties carrying overnight packs. You will need to be good with maps/compass.

For longer options, there is the full scenic rim traverse (basically, the ring of mountains surrounding Brisbane to the west and south). Any section of this could be done over your time-frame, although the Main Range would probably be the most spectacular. Robert Rankin's Secrets of the Scenic Rim outlines the general idea.

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Multi-day walk suggestions SE QLD

Postby stephen_h » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:18 pm

Have changed the title of the post to "Multi-day" as opposed "Multidisciplinary", caught out by predictive text.

Thanks Ofuros and Munch, some great suggestions and information. The Main Range does look enticing, however we are limited to one vehicle so unless we could hitch back it may be difficult.

How is the Main Range for water in October?
Does it require heading into the valleys to collect?

I will further investigate the Springbok/Lamington suggestion and Mount Barney. Lamington does sound very beautiful but of course full of people.

Navigation does sound challenging, so would be ensuring we overestimate time requirement to compensate for difficulties. Thanks for the heads up.
stephen_h
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 8:09 pm

Main Range can dry up quite a bit by that time of the year (Winter and Spring are dry here), although it has been a fairly wet winter so far thanks to two big dumps in June/July. You will probably need to walk some distance to find water from the crest of the range. Might want to plan to carry excess water if you head there.

You could form a circuit walk in the main range by driving into Emu Vale (4WD) and combining the Steamers region with Mt Superbus (2-3 day circuit with side trip further along the range). There's a small site near a spectacular rocky outcrop at Lizard Point that would be great to camp at.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:35 am

Lots of smaller circuits to chose from....below is just the tip of the iceberg. :wink:

Champions(above) Lincoln bomber wreck around to Lizard point & the steamers is a good one....

Mt Barney has lots ridges to climb to make a circuit, start @ Yellowpinch choose a southernish
ridge, summit then choose a northernish ridge to descend, use the creek as a highway to ascend
another ridge & then back to car & camp. You could also start by climbing Mt Ernest across Barney Spur to Mt Barney....

Boonah Border gate area..
Mt Clunie to Stag Head down to the falls & back out to car.
Wilson Peak, down to falls & back out to car.

Lamington...
O'Reilly's - Middle Ridge traverse to fountains falls to Binna Burra return via the Border Track.
Canungra creek circuit. lotsa waterfalls.

Whatever you choose.....enjoy your trip. :D
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nungulba » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:06 pm

I am talking now of winter days back in the late 1960s, when I lived in SEQ, so successfully disguised to myself as a sensitive, impressionable twenty-something. With time on my hands. Some friends and I used to travel up to O'Reilly's Guesthouse by the late-Friday-night bus & camp. Then next day - with the sky an eye-watering blue - we headed to the Border at Echo Point, whence we left the graded track for a rough trail over Worendo, Throakban and Point Lookout. We camped where we could: water was usually readily obtainable down on the northern side of the range. After Point lookout the going got rough, although there were usually "signs" of previous foot traffic! After a few kms of southward progress we came to a pronounced "dog-leg" in the range, after which we descended to a saddle where camp was set up, with water nearby. Next day began with a steady climb further to the south, following a succession of misguided(!) trails until we stumbled on the "confused" summit of the Tweed Range Trig". I've been told that the next section due west over Mt Nungulba(!) is nowadays a test of one's patience and navigational skills. Anyway, a few kms west of TRT you meet (remnants of?) the old rabbit fence. And a few kms beyond that is the turnoff for Black Snake Ridge & Running Creek Valley. Accommodation is available (see Rimfall Cottage Web Site) run by the Drynan family. Or you can continue on (over Richmond Gap) to Border Loop station & hitch a lift with a train back to the city.

I recommend this walk to anyone who wants to "get away from it all" for a few days!!!

References:

The Bushwalker's Guide to South East Queensland (BBW) 1st Edn 1964; 3rd Edn 1973.

Hema Map - Lamington National Park (2002) - which shows the approximate position of the track from Echo Point to Running Creek.

Tyalgum 1:50,000 (topo) 1990

Lamington 1:25,000 (2004)
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby stephen_h » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks Ofurus and Nungulba. Options are plenty. Looking forward to it.
stephen_h
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland