O'Reilly's - Mt Bithongabel walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

O'Reilly's - Mt Bithongabel walk

Postby kneighbour » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:16 pm

A few weeks back I did a walk from O'Reilly's to the start of the Toolona Creek Circuit (and back). ie basically just down to the waterfalls and back up again (13km exactly). This weekend I want to get down to the Wanungara Lookout.

Getting there is not a problem - I basically just continue along the Toolona Creek Circuit until I hit the Border Track, go left for a short detour, then hit the lookout.

Not sure how to get back though. We could retrace our steps back the Toolona Creek Circuit, but I think I read that if I go back along the Border Track to Bithongabel and then straight back to O'Reilly's that is the best. Is this correct? Looking at the map, it seems a lot further though.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: O'Reilly's - Mt Bithongabel walk

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:55 pm

It's much quicker return via the border track than via the Toolona Creek circuit, although less spectacular. The creek circuit winds back and forth along the creek to visit the best waterfalls and with multiple water crossings is much slower. 3-4 hours from O'rielly's via the creek circuit vs approx 2 h along the border track, at a reasonable pace.

There are some nice beech trees along the escarpment and if it's misty (which it often is) it can be quite enjoyable walking along the border track in that area.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:57 am

When you come down from O'Reilly's you get to a left/right branch in the path (just before Picnic Rock). This leads you to about a 2-3km loop that swings left then come right again and comes up the Canungra Creek to meet with the Toolona Creek circuit. At this point you meet the track that you would have taken if you had turned right way back at the left/right fork. On my last walk we actually climbed UP this loop (poor decision).

The thing is that there are a number of extra waterfalls on this loop - I was wondering if it would be worth it to take this loop just for the extra scenery. Or does the Toolona Creek circuit give you enough waterfalls? I am worried because this will add about 2-3km (almost all downhill though) to an otherwise already pretty long walk. I think it already comes to something like 16km computed (so probably 18-20km actual).

Any suggestions?
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:46 pm

There are plenty of waterfalls along Toolona Creek Circuit (most maps won't include all of them), but as you say it is only a couple of extra km... since you have already walked it, you will know whether you are keen to see the same bits of scenery again a couple of weeks later or not. If you have plenty of time there's no reason why not? The rainforest transitions from the large brush boxes in the box forest circuit (the 'loop' you refer to) to temperate forests full of moss and beech trees at the end of the Toolona Creek circuit would make it worthwhile.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland