Overnight walks other than The Gold Cost Great Walk?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight walks other than The Gold Cost Great Walk?

Postby kneighbour » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 8:53 pm

My wife and I recently did a 13km section of the O'Reillys Great Walk (ie from O'Reillys down to the water falls and back). We have been bush walking for some time, but this was the best walk to date. We simply loved the place so I want to spend a few nights out in the bush there. But apart from that one walk, I cannot seem to find too many other 1 or 2 night walks around Brisbane.

I am still looking at getting all the gear I need (a complex task in itself), so have not spent too much time looking for good walks. If anyone can point me to a few choice areas, I would appreciate it.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Overnight walks other than The Gold Cost Great Walk?

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 5:57 am

If you enjoyed that walk (Box Forest Circuit?), then it's probably worthwhile camping out along the border track at Mt Bithongabel/Echo Point and combining either of Albert River Circuit and/or Toolona Creek Circuit. Two of the best walks at Lamington.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:34 am

Yep - am looking into it. I am getting all geared up as we speak (getting tents, backpacks, etc). I intend doing that same daywalk in a few weeks with my full overnight kit - just to iron out any loading issues, etc.

Actually just waiting for the the gear I bought to arrive - then will go up there again. Getting the gear is not as simple as one might imagine. Will probably do every walk possible - including the 3 day "Great Walk", I am thinking.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:45 pm

'Every walk possible' will be a considerable task! At Lamington and Springbrook NPs there are dozens of walks on the graded track network. Then there are endless off-track trials and routes. You will need to choose wisely or you will need months to walk them all...

Best of the graded walks, if you haven't done them already:
Springbrook - Warrie Circuit
Binna Burra - Daves Creek Circuit, Coomera Circuit, Ship Stern Circuit
O'Reilly's - Albert River Circuit, Toolona Creek Circuit

But there obviously are many more than that. There are numerous 'bush campsites' (walk-in only) that you can use to string together many of these walks to make longer overnight affairs (see http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/lamin ... mping.html).

Bear in mind that Lamington gets surprisingly chilly at night time in winter, bring plenty of warm clothes
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland