Carnarvon Gorge Great Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Carnarvon Gorge Great Walk

Postby Michaelpav57 » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 9:17 am

We have planned to walk the Carnarvon Gorge great walk at the end of the month and have booked camp sites etc. Unfortunately something has come up and we now need to shorten our walk by 1 day. We have been told that it is possible to do the last 2 legs (Consuelo's Campsite to the finish) in one day. It looks like about 29 k but a lot of down hill. Has anyone done this or can offer advice.

We are not super fit walkers but can walk hard if we need to. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Michael
Michaelpav57
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Carnarvon Gorge Great Walk

Postby bauplenut » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 7:37 pm

First up , it is not Carnavon Gorge Great Walk - most of the walk you are not in the gorge nor see it. That is why it is Carnarvon Great Walk. Day one is in the gorge, last day in the afternoon you return to the gorge, rest of time you are on the plateau with no real view of the gorge, just lot of cross country walking.

Last day is predominantly downhill trend, but undulating so there are some up an down gullies. When we did it the map was incorrect for terrain on last day - map showed showed fairly flat walking, but it was a hike down an up gullies - printing error with map. Don't know if map has been upgraded since then. Second last day IIRC uphill a bit as the last camp site is the highest point of the walk, so that leg is gentle uphill.

It can be very cold up on the plateau at night too this time of year. We had rain and cold weather of a night when we did it.

To combine last two legs into one day is a challenge but doable. I would advise doing longer stints on previous days to reduce last day distance. There is nothing that good from day two on that you will miss by doing longer legs each day, except not camping where the water supply is at camp sites. Camp sites are nothing remarkable. Just fill up water and move on each arvo.

We did it in 2010 so any vagueness or inaccuracy with my memory recall is not my fault hehehe.

Have fun.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Michaelpav57 » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks so much for that info. I hadn't thought to walk past a campsite to shorten the next day but that makes great sense.

I have been told there are a lot of feral pigs. Can they be a problem?

Thanks again
Michaelpav57
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi MP, I did it in 2014 and really enjoyed my time up there. I camped at Foley's Spring on the second last night and then pushed on past Cabbage Tree Camping Zone on my last night. Like bauplenut I used the topo map that showed the last day as a gentle downhill, the route actually climbs up Demon Ridge (not descends) and I'm guessing it may live up to its name if your doubling up (it is doable though).

I wrote up a journal with quite a few photos in it https://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/?o=tS& ... 14074&v=6m

If you want the condensed version I did a post on my blog about the walk http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... -2014.html

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Michaelpav57 » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 9:31 am

Hello Kevin

I have already seen your Journal (very entertaining). Thank you for that useful information. We will probably try to walk from West Branch for as far as we can to give us the shortest possible last day. About how far past the Consuelo's Camping Zone is Foley's Springs.

Have you (or anyone else) had any experience with the road into West Branch?
Is it for 4 wheel Drives only?
Also how long a drive is it from Injune?

Regards
MP
Michaelpav57
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi MP,

To get to Foley Spring you need to head left down an old fire track just before you get to Consuelo CZ, the springs are a couple of k's down the track from memory. It's a good plan to push on past Consuelo and camp somewhere between there and Cabbage Tree (plenty of suitable spots) and then walk out on the last day.

I haven't ever driven into West Branch but its a very long drive from Injune, its rated as 4wd but you may get in in a soft roader. Your best bet for up to date info would be the rangers at Carnarvon Gorge, they will be able to put you in contact with the ranger out at Mt Moffat.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Queensland